Sunday, September 13, 2009

Got enough milk?

When Hudson went off of formula our pediatrician jokingly said that we would be given a financial boost based on the cost of Similac versus milk; she obviously had no idea how much milk my son could ingest. All by himself (who else would drink whole milk? Ew!) Hudson is plowing through a gallon quicker than I can say, “moo.”

My best friend Carmen has to love this post because for years I have laughed when peering into her fridge I saw three, sometimes four, gallons of milk cluttering the shelves. Carmen’s daughters are older and she knows something I am just learning: purchase multiple quantities of milk at a time or you will become a frequent flyer at your neighborhood Marsh.

The good thing is (and I checked Hudson’s baby book for this one) the price of moo juice has gone down—like really down-- since he was born. In August of ’08, the average price of milk was $3.50+, where as now I can always find it on sale somewhere for $1.98. One week recently the priced dropped as low as .99 cents at Aldi’s. I was elated!

Josh is what I would call a milk snob. Primarily because he will not TOUCH a gallon of milk within a week of the expiration date. Too many times in our five years of marriage I see him open the fridge and then yell over his shoulder, “What is today’s date?” I know where this conversation is going. Additionally, my prima donna husband will not drink previously frozen milk. We just don’t have enough room in our fridge for our dairy needs. Maybe I will need to take over the ice box in our wet bar.

I do not intend to bellyache about this. This is just informative. Honestly, I am happy about the change; I hated everything about formula. I just don’t think we really got a raise considering he eats more than he drinks. Don’t get me started on what he can do to a pack of hotdogs!

1 comment:

mistymadisonjo said...

I just checked my refrigerator and there are three gallons of milk! Hehehehe