Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rose colored glasses

My son has taught me multiple things over the past year, and my most recent lesson involves how I view others. I apologize for how unchristian the following statement will be: Sometimes people scare me by the way they look. I admit that I have diverted my eye contact or quickened my step when a questionable looking stranger nears. I am guilty of judging a book by its cover. Hudson does not have any of these stupid preconceived notions and is a friend to one and all. Sitting in his signature sideways position as we walk into stores, he waves at everyone. A couple of days ago we went in the local Wal-Mart and he was so friendly he made the sweet elderly greeter look like Nurse Ratchett.
Among the aisles of food staples he saw an intimidating and frightening man approaching us with his busily shopping wife. After scanning his shoddy outfit and scowling face, I looked away. Not my son. He started waving and flapping his arms at the guy. As my eyes made a sideways glance towards their directions and I saw this man’s grimace melt into the biggest smile I have ever seen. He elbowed his wife and said aloud, “That kid thinks I am cool. Did you see his smile?”
It was awesome!!! Funny thing is, when I saw them again later in a neighboring checkout line, the guy either looked happier or I was just looking at him differently because something was discernibly different.


While I love my days with little Mr. Friendly, I am having difficulties explaining to him that he needs to work on his approach with people his own age. Since he is still mastering the art of walking, usually he advances towards people with his hands in the air for balance. And typically he is groaning or babbling at them as he walks. Add this to his overeager excitement and honestly he reminds me of Frankenstein. Hmmmm…and I thought I didn’t have any ideas of what Hudson could be for Halloween.

1 comment:

Christina said...

At the old age of four-years.....this sounds like Whyatt.....he knows no stranger!! I keep calling him my lil Wal-Mart greater!!!

On some days, this really scares me.....on some days it's cute. This (I might add) drives his dad crazy!!