Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Yeah, he is amazing


This blog is not about my amazing little boy. It is about my amazing big boy, my husband Josh. On Sunday Josh told me that he had been lying to me for a couple weeks about a fake company lunch for workers and their families which was supposed to be on Monday at noon. (Yes, in hindsight it did seem weird to me that they would have a group lunch on a work day, but I believed him. That is what we call trust.) He told me that instead I would be going to Bloomington with my BF Carmen and taking a French cooking class with her and another favorite foodie, my Aunt C. I was speechless. He was taking off work? I was not going to have the usual Monday with little man attached to my leg? Cooking school? How? Wha??

It really doesn't take him to do something out of the ordinary like this for me to appreciate everything that he has brought to my life and how much I love being married to him; it did, however, provide me with enough inspiration to write this blog.
I am so lucky that I have more than just a husband. I have a friend to combat the splendid and scary moments of parenting. Over the past fourteen months I’ve been more grateful for Josh than ever. I love that we both smile at Hudson with that same smitten kitten look in our eyes. I love that we share a sweet moment together each night before bed slinking into Hudson’s room silently with flashlight in hand just to peer on his sleeping body. I love that we laugh together at the dinner table every single night as little man tries to conquer the meal in front of him. I love watching Hudson try and help his dad around the house. Of course I especially love it when Hudson is crying in the middle of the night and Josh says, “I’ll get him.” Those random instances are the best!
Naturally, the hardest thing about being married is compromise. You have your ideas of how things should be handled and so does your spouse. Negotiating a Saturday schedule or what color stain to use on the trim is minor compared to the mutual ground you must find when raising a child. While we are both strong willed people, I know that there is absolutely no one I would rather make those decisions with than Josh. He so obviously has Hudson’s best interests always at heart and he is just as trepidacious as I am, which is really nice!
Wearing daddy's old clothes


Though Hudson looks like me, God-willing, he will grow up to be like Josh. If so, that would be amazing. Thank you, Sparky, for a super fun day in cooking school AND for being a wonderful partner in parenting. I love you!





p.s. While Hudson seemingly fits into Josh's old outfit, please note he is both skinnier and shorter than his pop. Hence, I altered this sweatsuit by attaching it to his diaper with masking tape. Not the best laid plan as he soon has some droopy drawers. Yesterday during my "day away" I returned home to find Hudson wearing this outfit again. Josh's sewing skills are sadly equal to mine, but his engineering knowledge is much better. He opted to binder clip the jacket to the pants. Genius!


1 comment:

Kris said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose mom saved baby clothes! Leah actually picked out an old jacket of mine to wear today! Pants are harder, most of the elastic is worn out, I'll have to try that binder clip idea!