The girls in the playgroups have always seemed more verbal than the boys, but like my friend Cindy's husband says, women have a word count they must reach each day. I guess this starts immediately. Hudson is okay at talking; however, I believe he is very advanced at communicating. Through sign language and his gutteral sounds there isn't much left for me to question. I am very happy we have used the sign language as much as we have. I believe it has kept frustration on both our parts down. Plus it is really awesome when he walks into the kitchen and signs "music" when he wants the radio turned on!
Much like a second child who has an older sibling to speak for them, I think that I have definitely ran the risk of meeting his needs before he even has to articulate them. Each day I know Hudson's routine so well that he doesn't have to ask for milk in the morning--it is already poured. These little things are what I am working on. Not exactly trying NOT to meet his needs per se, but more so allowing him to ask for what he wants--sign language or otherwise. Many of my mommy friends (of only children) have said the same thing.
So on this list of words little man says there is an obvious one missing. I guess it is something that I would prefer not to write about here as I kind of hope that I won't remember this. Nearly eighteen months old and ...well, in effort to remain forthright and honest with this blog:
Hudson doesn't say Mama. Not Mom. Not Mommy. Not anything. He doesn't ever say a name for me. He calls me (and anyone he loves) "Dada." Show him a picture of me and he will say, "Dada". Yesterday I said something and he said, "Yes!" and so I took the opportunity to reply back, "Yes, Mama!" and pointed to myself. He looked at me quizzically and said, "Yes, Dada!"
He has never said Mama in front of me and I was told that he said it once when I left him, but I question even that wasn't shared with me to make me feel better --or worse. It made me feel both.I made a photo book with pictures of all of Hudson's grandparents, aunts, and uncles in it. Hopefully it will help him learn everyone's names. There are separate pictures of Josh, Hudson, and I in there too. (Three "Dada"s in Hudson-speak.) I also included pictures of his playgroup friends-- including the little 16 month old ladyfriend that calls him "Hudsie" without skipping a beat.
Those girls....
3 comments:
I can't believe he doesn't say mama. It is kinda reverse here. Spencer only says mama.
I love that Hudson signs though, so cool. Spencer does a bit, but not much.
In an episode of Seventh Heaven, the youngest twin boys didn't have a word for their mom yet and it was breaking her heart. Well, the youngest daughter would sneak into the kitchen after the mom left give them a treat and whisper, "mommy". Soon the twins were calling the sister mom. The mother couldn't figure out why until someone caught the little girl in the act.
Of course, I can't remember the outcome. I just thought that little girl was a stinker!
Just think of it this way.....he doesn't have to have a name for you....you are everything and you are always there for him and with him. If you left him more often, he would probably say mama. So.....I wouldn't worry about it too much!! :)
Enjoy the fact that he doesn't have to call out your name!!
Post a Comment