**Blogger's note: I wrote this earlier this week before a plague took up residence on my home. I haven't been back on the computer--aside from work--since. Even now I type one handed with little man on my lap. But didn't want to shelve this and write about ear infections...again.**
“I was a wonderful parent before I had children.”
I love that line. It is the opening sentence of the book my parenting bookclub/playdate is reading and it is so true.
Being thirty-three before your first child is born has its advantages. I definitely do not feel like I am missing out on anything. I definitely am happier to stay home any given evening with my family than to do anything else. And I definitely know I have seen enough bad parenting to figure out how to be better at it.
Now, if I could just DO it.
This is a news flash only to those who have no children: parenting is very hard. Even to grandparents and those far removed from the days of temper tantrums and meltdowns, people forget that parenting a toddler is stressful, exhausting, and frequently seemingly impossible. You try to do everything “right” and are never sure exactly what “right” is. Today I dressed little man using wrestling techniques I once saw on a WWF Smackdown episode. He acted like he was taking a bullet with each new layer I added. I thought the “right” thing to do was have him clothed. Now I am not sure if naked wouldn’t have been less traumatic for us both and possibly more “right”.
I am nothing like the parent I anticipated I would be. It is inexplicable too how that happened since I was so sure of how I would be as a mother. (Ha) This reality is that I think I am calmer and more sedate than I thought I would be. Right now I have sidewalk chalk art all over the siding of my house. That’s cool. Hudson went down for a nap wearing only pants. That’s cool. I am pretty sure he ate a discarded pretzel out of the flowerbed this morning. That’s cool (if it was, please God, just a pretzel).
Just because I am more relaxed than I thought I would be does not mean I think I have it all together because I SO. DO. NOT. I lose my cool too often. I get frustrated hourly. I find myself counting to ten (okay, fifty) and walking away from him thrashing on the floor daily. But I don’t get worked up nearly as often as I thought I would.
Even the books that are written for parents of toddlers typically present better one-liners than actual concrete suggestions on how to do things with greater success. So, I am stopping the books for awhile. Maybe I will pick up a potty training guide one day, but until then, I will just continue to relax. After all, when Hudson is thirty-five, I will be able to proudly proclaim, “I was a wonderful parent” and then under my breath add, “before I had children.”
But he looks pretty well taken care of, huh?
3 comments:
I think you are doing a GREAT job. You have more patience and ability than you give yourself credit for. Just.....don't.....ever loose your sense of humor!!! That my friend.....is how I survive!!!
Amen, Amen, Amen.....so well written!! I think we all have the daily episodes. I am constantly feeling guilty for not being more patient. We do our best which, albeit not perfect, is pretty darn good. (If I may say so myself) You are a great mom....take a deep breath, hug that beautiful boy and be proud of who he is becoming.....a shirtless graffiti artist
You are a wonderful parent because you love your son.
Yes, I wish there was an instructional manual that came home from the hospital and unfortunately there is not. Some days are good, some days are not so good and some days are just down right bad. I agree with you on the books: the wuthors aren't there when you have a limp fish thrashing about when he wants juice instead of milk to tell you what to do. We as parents, just do it. That slogan should be for parents and not for NIKE. HUGS!
Post a Comment