Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tornados, Butler's loss, and other spring disasters

During my first year teaching, the practice tornado drill was a wake-up call. I realized no longer was I the one who would get down on the ground and sit uncomfortably cross-legged "closer to the wall!" Instead it was my job to keep the peace, direct traffic, and hover over my students' bodies protecting them from falling glass and ceilings. I remember walking with my class to our "secured" spot during that first drill and, out of sheer habit, getting down on the floor WITH them. (I quickly stood up and laughed it off.) During the first unplanned-the sky is black-yikes! drill, I suddenly wanted to be the one on the floor being protected and not the one looking brave and ready to take the weight of the building to save the kids. Well, that pails in comparison to how I felt last night with Hudson when our town's tornado warning system activated and the sky turned black. Hudson heard the siren and was terrified. He ran to my lap saying, "No oh! Uh oh!" His little heart was beating so fast as he cuddled into my lap. (Good thing he can't tell you about the speed of mine!)

Our local Butler Bulldogs lost in a heartbreaking NCAA national championship game last night. It was fantastic watching our little Hoosier team take on the big dance and play like they deserved to be there.
It is also fantastic that Hudson didn't wake up considering all the yelling and screaming Josh and I did at the television set the whole game long!

Finally, I don't have to get into the evil details of recent events, but I did put something plastic where it should never go and our a small housefire (is there such a thing?) ensued. As of this morning. ten days later, I believe the whole disaster is cleaned up.
Just know that when you visit next Hudson will surely say, "Uhhhhhhhhhh oHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" if I walk near the stove and our house will probably have the faint smell of burnt Barbie until Christmas.

2 comments:

Every Day is an Adventure said...

love the family photo!!
The tornado story...ugh, no fun. I was (still am a little) very afraid of storms and high winds. I try so hard to appear brave and as if it isn't any big deal with the kids. I know I got my fear from my grandmother and don't want to pass it on. Actually, the need to act unafraid has helped me conquer the fear a little. Sorry TMI....just got on a roll.
Hugs

mistymadisonjo said...

I hate tornados, I literally have panick attacks. So, I moved to Oklahoma - what was I thinking?????
Glad you are all safe.

Madison can join you in the small house fire category, she wanted Easy Mac and forgot to add the water. Our house smelled for days, if not weeks.

Butler played a good game, very proud of them!