Friday, November 5, 2010

Balancing Act

It is 11:55 p.m. and I am blogging. That is only noteworthy in that I should be working. The big block calendar which dictates my life right now is full. Two months ago I decided to take my super part time photography skills and make them my bona fide career. Adding it to the little book editing work I have done over the past year, I have gone from a SAHM (stay at home mom) to a WFHM (working from home mom) to a lady who has nearly lost her mind.
As I have witnessed countless times, when a mother goes back to work after a baby is born, things get sacrificed. It all becomes about balance. And while I absolutely love (times a million billion) that I work from home, it definitely presents unique challenges. Namely, when to shut off one aspect of yourself for another. I have no commute. (Amen!) I have no need for daycare. (Again, amen!) But I have no separation. Too many times in the past couple of days I have been placing orders while Handy Manny teaches my son Spanish, instead of cozying on the couch with him as I used to during his sacred 25 minute daily episode. I hate that. But man! I can accomplish soooo much in those 25 minutes! (um, mamas can I hear an amen?)
Several months ago I made the rule that I could not check email until naptime. Because once that mailbox opened, a whole world of appointments, orders, chapters to be read, questions, arrived. Kind of like Pandora’s box. It sounds great in theory and a perfect way to try and compartmentalize my life. But I have never been one to follow rules. Especially my own.
Does this have a point? *Sigh* Reality is right now I am a mother and worker all day every day. Reality is the home “office” has matchbox cars all over the floor. Reality is I will stay up late to edit pictures of someone else’s kid only to deal with my own when he wakes up at 4:30 a.m. (the past two nights…what is up with that???) Reality is I am booked through mid-March. And reality is I am not able to separate my worlds right now. While everyone says how lucky I am (working for myself/getting to be at home/no one's agenda but my own), please don’t envy me too much. I am just another mother trying to find balance.

3 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

Balance is a hard one and as soon as you think you have it down, something changes and you start all over again.
I get so excited to do something new or go on vacation only days into it to be longing for routine. I love routine and when it gets out of whack, it is tough. I love the DVR'd Sesame Streets that allow myself a half hour to make dinner (so, yes, AMEN). I can't check email until after Spencer is asleep because he will pull my hand and tell me to walk (his nice way of saying, pay attention to me). Ahhh, balance. Let me know when you find it and send it my way.

Kris said...

That's great that your buisness is taking off like that! Wish I had scheduled you awhile back, we don't have any (good) family pics with Noah in them yet...someday... :)

Every Day is an Adventure said...

Just another hump in the roller coaster of motherhood....let me know if you find the key to balance