Sunday, November 14, 2010

Not feeling Awesome

My first book is going to be a collection of sayings from members of my family. My dad says, "See you Thursday" no matter when he is going to see you next. My grandpa likes to say it is, "a quarter till" no matter what time it is. We would all be rich if we were given a quarter every time grandma says, "Great Scott!" If you think of most people you know, they can be defined --in part-- by something they say frequently. About ten years ago, I hooked on to the word, "Awesome" and I can't seem to shed it. Regardless of how I am feeling/doing, usually if you ask me how I am, I will say, "Awesome." I like its inheritant optimism and succinct nature which allows me not to talk about whatever is really happening.

Go figure that my 27 month old (can I stop counting months now?) uses "Awesome" in his daily conversations. It is awful cute and last week he came home from school wearing an "awesome" sticker. I wonder if it was given to him intentionally or if it was just the next one on the page. Anyway, the irony was not lost on me.

Soon after that awesome day, Hudson started sneezing and not feeling so awesome. He has been pretty snotty and whiny for the past 48 hours. I am grateful that this is the first cold he has had in no less than 10 months! However, since his last cold, he has grown very articulate. It tears me up when he is sick, but I find it worse now that he can provide words for how bad he feels.


Yesterday, for example, he asked me for a new nose. His current one, all red, raw, and crusty was not awesome. Poor little guy! So, the decision has been made (and this was a toughie) as soon as this cold has left the building, we are both going in for flu shots.

2 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

Okay, not so awesome. Hope the both of you feel better soon.

Macey said...

:o( Sorry he's not feeling well. I hope no one else in the house catches his little cold. It's so sad when our little ones are sick because we can't do anything about it! Hope he feels better soon, and you can totally stop counting in months...I know I did! :o)