Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Are you listening? #500

Five hundred blogs.
Yep. I have written them. And you have been reading them. I hope none of you are doing the mental math of how many minutes you have been spent being entertained here! So, what will she tell us about today you wonder. Well, I don't think even I am prepared for this one. Hmmm...where to start...
Understatement of the year: I am grateful that my mother never blogged. It is easier to chalk up her versions of my childhood events as mostly fabricated if there is no written record from the time period. (Do police reports count?!? Ha.) I think of the time I have spent recording the lives of my babies for them to read as adults and wonder if Hudson and Tucker will be as enamored with this chronicle as I hope them to be.

Hudson definitely won't.

Not after today.

Readers, my baby is growing up. Or at least his line of questions has went from baby stuff to big boy stuff.

Scene: the Hawaii bathroom a couple nights ago. I am going potty and, surprise, am not alone. Hudson, "Mama? Where did your penis go?" Instantly, my blood pressure went through the roof. Completely caught off guard...while peeing. Me, "Um, Mama never had a penis, Hudson. Girls do not have them." I am satisfied with my answer and trying to figure out how to get out of the bathroom as fast as possible. But I am cornered by him. Quite literally. His face contorts into a quizzical expression and I just know I am in for it. Where the heck is Josh?!? And then he continues his questions. Hudson, "So does pee come out your butt?"

I. wanted. to. die.

For the hope that my son will talk to me one day, I am going to end the written transcription of our little chat, but it ended with me in a dead sweat. How do I answer these kind of questions? Wasn't I last weeks just reading books about breast feeding and developmental milestones and now I get to deal with this? Eek!
Four hundred and ninety nine blogs ago, I started this journey recognizing that my life was about to change. In some ways the only constant has been the free fall. Out of control, I am on the roller coaster of parenthood. Sometimes it is scary, stressful, and nerve wracking. But it is exhilarating, rewarding, and priceless. And frequently sweaty.

Thanks for being a part of my ride.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful for your 500 blogs. We would be devastated if we couldn't check in and see what was going on with the Harris household and what antics the boys have come up with now. Thanks for all your time and effort! kh

Christine Joy said...

I love this particular posting because it is an example of how honest and open the conversations with our children can be. Allowing our children to ask us anything when they are young opens the door for the times when the interrogator's questions get more complicated. Love you Heather! You're a great mommy!

Sarah said...

We talk about private parts frequently in our house. So far it has remained relatively simple and innocent. But I'm already thinking I should go to the library and start reading up on how to talk to kids about sex so I can be prepared. Thankfully, K's obsessive "why?" phase has been put on pause for now. Hope I get to hear the rest of the story later!

mistymadisonjo said...

First I need to say thanks. It is 10:12pm and I have only been home for 30 minutes. I am tired, cranky, and I have a gazillion things to do. Doing a quick email and blog check, I read your honest thoughts.
I laughed.
I laughed out loud.
I laughed out loud and it felt good.
So thanks, I needed it.

Heather Bennett said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed so hard I cried. Firstly because it was a hilarious story, secondly because I just had to explain to my 5-year old daughter that her 'coochie' is technically called a 'vagina'. I didn't think she would know what the boy private parts are, but I asked if she knew and gave her a hint that it started with a 'p'. She said 'pagina'? Hahaha. Kids. They crack me up.

Thanks for your awesome blog!