Sunday, February 26, 2012

Good talk.

A couple of months ago I learned a secret about Hudson. It was the night of his Christmas show and we had went back to his classroom afterwards to retrieve his coat. That is when his teacher introduced me to Mr. Penguin.
Mr. Penguin, it was shared, was some random, nearly discarded plastic animal figurine found in Hudson's classroom one day. No one knows where it came from, but when Hudson got his hands on it, he immediately took it for his own. Consider it a security blanket of sorts; Mr. Penguin is just a "thing" that Hudson has while he is at school which makes him feel better. For most of last fall, he would attend chapel, library time, and recess with Hudson. This second semester Mr. P is typically waiting on his attendance card when we arrive. He always greets it with a hug and a smile. It really is the ugliest little junky toy I have ever seen, but no matter Hudson loves it.
On last Wednesday, Miss Jenny said that Mr. Penguin was allowed to come home with Hudson for the weekend. From what she told me, he asked if Mr. Penguin could come home and "go on some adventures with him". She thought this was too precious not to allow. After all, as she and the assistant teacher have said many times, Mr. Penguin would have been thrown away long ago if Hudson hadn't found him worthy of keeping.
We have spent a decent amount of time over the past couple of days in the car. In the backseat Little Man is jabbering away to his friend. Probably the best talks a three year old can have are with his/herself. You think?


Tonight I wanted to talk to my Granny so bad my heart hurt. Matter a fact, tears fall down my cheeks right now because I can not remedy it in my head that I can not just call her and talk this out. My Granny was my security blanket. With her gone, I don't have anyone to talk with at times like this. And suddenly I am jealous of my son's plastic penguin friend...

2 comments:

Christina said...

Awww.....now I have tears flowing! Hugs are being sent your way!

Anonymous said...

That's funny you wrote this. I've been missing my grandpa quite a bit lately.
They're still right by us though. Just in a special way.