Thursday, November 19, 2009

B26 Biscotti or B13 Toasted Coconut?

Finding a good hair color out of a box is hard. I am not crazy about the color of mine right now. I think it is the same color my Granny used for years. And I am pretty sure even she would veto it. But in the spirit of saving money, I will have it (the box says for the next six to eight weeks).

B.H. (before Hudson) I used to have my hair professionally done about four times a year. I didn't have to stare at twenty boxes in the drugstore aisle and try to differentiate between what ash blonde, cool blonde, natural blonde, golden blonde, reddish blonde, sunkist blonde, and medium blonde would do to my brown hair. Some stylist would just go mix up some goop and Viola! it was done. Pedicures, I used to get those too. Now, I avoid letting people see the bottoms of my feet and get excited when I can find a good nail polish on sale for $1 at CVS. I haven't went clothes shopping for just myself in ...who knows how long. Recently with a 30% off coupon for Kohls in hand (yes, I got a goooooooood coupon) I bought myself (drumroll....)a new bra. What can I say, I was living on the edge.Ever since we went from one income to two, I am obsessed about the cost of life.

The Toys'R Us ("biggest ever!!!!") Christmas catalogue came in the mail recently and for a split second I wished that Hudson was old enough to have the joy of sitting down with a fat marker in hand to circle all the things he wanted in it. Then I came back to my senses and realized how glad I am that we have another year before he reaches the age of Christmas I-want-it Lists.

Josh had a great-grandpa whose Christmas wish list was stamps, socks, and lightbulbs. I like the logic there. Like Hudson who probably wants nothing more than mama, dada, and hotdogs for his holiday, it is interesting that we start off wanting just our needs met --then we want well, everything--and finally we go back to the basics. Probably a lesson there somewhere...

Still, if there was a StayAtHomeMamas'R Us Christmas catalogue I bet it would be full of those non-sensible things us former working women treated ourselves to: namely uncomfortable expensive footwear, forty-five minute pedicures, and professional salon hair colorings. Oh! and being ALONE in the bathroom. This year I would sit with purple marker in hand and circle every item.

Next year, I will just ask for stamps, socks, and lightbulbs. I promise.

Wearing Mama's glasses and professionally drooling--come on last molar, break on through!

3 comments:

Kris said...

You probably have more than a year before the christmas list. Leah still just likes looking at and tearing up the toy magazines right now.
I do think the stay at home mom catalog is a great idea though...

Anonymous said...

Hudson looks quite the intellectual with those spectacles!

mistymadisonjo said...

I completely agree! I LOVE Christmas and I LOVE to buy for other people, but this year, nope, cutting back big time. HEALTH CARE costs have to come first. I have three gifts for Spencer and that is it. I only wish the older one was as inexpensive.