Friday, January 15, 2010

Broken record

Apologizes to those who feel they have read this one before. How Josh and I created a child who does not idolize sleep has me forever puzzled. After all, he definitely received the genes we both share for impatience and love of popcorn. Yet, this one just does not sleep.

I am persistently aware of how not getting even eight hours sleep on a regular basis is affecting me. I did not need a doctor to tell me what happens when a body does not achieve REM night after night. I live it. The sleeping pills do not make it better as when I take them and then he wakes up in the middle of the night upset, I am in real trouble because I absolutely can not function to deal with him.


Yes, both Josh and I are guilty of bringing Hudson to bed with us. It is getting increasingly difficult to get any decent sleep in a full bed with two adults and one child (who has a habit of sleeping perpendicular).However, when he does fall asleep with us, this is what we get to wake up to.




We are in a bad place right now. He doesn’t just cry out anymore. He screams. Top of his lungs. To the point where he chokes. Constantly. He is at the age where night terrors are really common, but I do not believe that is what this is.



Last night Hudson woke up screaming and when I went to check on him he immediately quieted down and relaxed. So, I put him down and he flipped out. But I went back to bed. After 45 minutes of more screaming I could not fall asleep –unlike my snoring bed partner—so I went in, changed his diaper, told him I would rock him for one song and then it is “Night-night”. I did just that and when I stood up to put him into his crib he clung to my shirt. I laid him down crying and stood there patting him until he stopped. I had one arm in the crib patting him and laid my head down on my other arm not looking at him. I am not sure how long I leaned there. Long enough to contemplate if it was possible for me to fall asleep upright in that position. Hudson started to silently stand up. I remained still (thinking "I am absolutely never going to get any rest tonight") and he cuddled his head in the crook of my neck audibly sucking on paci.

Exasperated I did what any good sleep deprived mother does:  I cry. What am I going to do with this sweet little guy?


5 comments:

Macey said...

Awww :o( It stinks when they are having rough nights. Is he cutting any teeth? Ayden just cut his top two eye teeth and they were HORRIBLE and he would wake up randomly and start screaming (nap time was even worse/non existent as you know). A friend of mine is also having issues with this. Maybe it's his teeth that are bothering him and once they're through he'll sleep better. I hope you guys get some rest soon!

Anonymous said...

The PU students enjoy the bedhead!

Kris said...

Leah has been really difficult to put to bed ever since we got back from Christmas. I'm hoping it is just until things get back to 'normal'. I have a harder time of it than Dwight, and when he was out of town it took me over an hour and a half to get her to sleep :P Every time I got up to leave she cried and got out of bed, and now that she is in the toddler bed, and can dismantle the doorknob safety latch AND climb over the gate, I think the days of Cry It Out are over. Same thing the next night. :P
I guess sometime we will get sleep and then miss getting to hang out with a cute little tot all day, and night. right?...?

mistymadisonjo said...

I am sooo sorry you guys are having such a hard time with him. I really hope you guys find a solution that works. Good luck.

Christina said...

How much sleep is he getting during the day? When Whyatt started having issues (probably 2-years+) I started to take away nap time. I hated it because I needed a break during the day, but I found that with no nap - he was easier to get to bed. Even now at 4 1/2-years of age - I still can't give him a nap unless I want him up late that night.

P.S. Love the bed head!!