Thursday, June 10, 2010

Land of the Living

Today Hudson and I emerged from our blind-drawn household to the land of the living after four days of sickness. We returned to the world with gusto and energy usually reserved for Day One at Disneyland. We stopped at our favorite Aldi hoping to snag some more Elmo juiceboxes (his new favorite word, thank you very much, KK!), but instead found a fabulous Nutella knockoff for $1.77 a jar. If you do not know what Nutella is, you are really missing out and should promptly purchase some on your next shopping adventure.

Then we went to the first session of Summer Storytime! Whoop! Whoop! It was awesome as the theme today was Transportation. Hudson's fav!! We learned a new airplane song which we have sang about 100 times already.

Then we went shopping for some training pants. Although Hudson is currently broadcasting to all when he has peed and pooped, the underwear is more for his sore bottom. I am confident potty training is not yet on our radar. We went out to eat --nearly for free-- with Cindy and Vivi; then scored a fabulous Fisher Price toy for $1.00 at a garbage sale. That is where our day went awry...

Hudson was much more interested in returning to the unpurchased toys at the garbage sale than joining me for the carride home, so he turned and ran back towards the crowd.

"Stop!" I said in the appropriate we-are-in-public tone.
"Hudson, STOP!" I yelled to no avail.
"STOP!!!!!" I screamed.

Too late. Hudson fell headfirst into a mega puddle of mud and water. A trough sized pile of street gunk. He absolutely drenched and destroyed himself and his clothes--and Mama's after appropriate consoling. It was the grossest thing ever. Thick black mud in his ears. Inbedded in his hair. Eyes. Teeth. The ladies at the garbage sale ran to see if he was okay --and that he didn't drown in the muck. People stopped that were driving by who had witnessed the whole thing. If he hadn't hurt himself and scared the crap outta me, I probably would have brained him.

So I stripped him down naked. Wiped his whole body with Wet Ones and put his bare booty in the car for a mandatory bath before naptime.

When we returned home, I got into the backseat to retrieve him. He sat quiet and glassy-eyed. With dried grime and filth on his face, he looked like he had been through a war. I softly said to him, "Hudson, you know why you are so dirty?" Thinking the only obvious answer was, "Because I didn't listen to Mama."

Naturally, his swift response was much more accurate and Hudson-esque:

"Wa-wa?"

2 comments:

Macey said...

Okay I laughed out loud after reading that story. Too funny. Where was your camera! Those are the moments we catch on film and use against them later :o)

Anonymous said...

He's Brilliant!