Nearly two-hundred and fifty blogs ago I started writing about my new life as a mother. I vaguely recall how different I was at that time, 2008 B.H. (before Hudson), back when things like sleeping and eating with two hands were not extraordinary precious moments. And although those childless days seem to be getting smaller and smaller in my mind’s rearview mirror, some instances still make me wonder, “What happened to me?”
Recently I organized a group of girls for a movie & drinks night out. Seventeen women took me up on the proposal, proving I was not the only Mama in need of a break. Our post-movie the discussion turned to the timely, “What are your summer plans?” Now, I definitely remember some crazy antics for most of the women present in this group. Individually and in factions we have done a number of nutty things together. An open ended question such as this—in the past—might have received any sort of completely irresponsible and irreverent responses. Insert the pregnant pause that most of us have now passed through and the shining response which elicited the greatest amount of discussion was, “Potty training.”
Agh! Who are these people?!?!
Agh! Who are these people?!?!
Isn’t it funny how when you get away from the kid(s) they still remain the single greatest focus of conversation? Josh and I find a night out to dinner and we, well, I, find it difficult to talk about things other than little man. "Guess what he said today??" Take 17 girls out for a night away from motherhood and its responsibilities and we wrangle for twenty minutes about the value of Pull-ups versus the Naked and $75 method. (The $75 is, I guess, for the inevitable carpet cleaning.)
Because I can’t seem to remember what life was like even this past winter when I was editing two books and working on photography assignments, the following information is just for me. This is so I can know where I was at this point in my existence with my little 21 month old son.
I get up between 7 and 8:30 usually to a happy kid who immediately wants milk. We sit in a chair and look outside while he drinks. Our days consist of playgroups, storytimes, walks, volunteering at church, visits to the zoo, Children’s Museum, parks, shopping adventures, or hanging out with our friends. One day a week I do not drive anywhere. We usually get home from our morning around noon-thirty to eat. Naptime comes after lunch and five books. During naptime I work on photography assignments, book editing work, home remodeling, gardening, or housework. Once he wakes up he usually watches an episode of Handy Manny and I continue doing what I was, if possible. We go outside after his show and work around the yard until Josh gets home. Sometime in there I start dinner too. After Josh gets home we usually eat and then go for a walk or bikeride or something. Family time usually lasts until Hudson’s bathtime around 8. Currently I am doing bathtime and Josh puts Hudson to bed. Josh usually toils on the kitchen remodel until 10 or 11 p.m. Most nights I work on photography assignments, editing, or cleaning the house until 11 or 12.
You know, I don't really know what happened to me. But being completely honest, when I think about where I was B.H. and now, all I can tell you is I love my life. I have always had it good, but this is exactly where I want to be. Potty talk and all...
1 comment:
you just brought tears to my eyes. your blog needs to be called "one proud mama"
Miss you! I would have love to come out with you ladies, instead I was camping at Raccoon Lake and completely drugged up on Benadryl due to extreme allergies basically put me in a coma.
Hope to see you SOON!!!!
Post a Comment