Sunday, June 13, 2010

Quirks


What happens to a woman's memory once she has kids? I lost mine sometime during pregnancy and still haven't found it. Mommy mush-brain moved in and infested my whole head. I know Hudson has to think I am a total kook. Every single time we go to leave the house I gather up everything I think I need and take him to the door, and then remember something else. I get it and go back to the door. Then I remember something else. I do this back and forth dance MULTIPLE times to gather every single thing I forgot to grab. Fifteen minutes later--we leave.

As I watch Hudson grow and change I keep worrying I will forget about all the little quirks he has. Some of them are just so humorous, I want to be able to tell him about them when he is older. It is impossible that little man turned 22 months old today. Just looking at him this afternoon I saw a change in his face. Gone for good is his baby face. A toddler is definitely now residing here.

So I record now-- in this new-fangled baby book of sorts-- a smattering list of mannerisms of little man I hope not to forget.
* he swaps letters in words when he speaks; typically the initial "s" moves to the back of the word; example: smoke is pronounced "mokes" and stuck is pronounced "tucks"
* he incessantly hums or moans when he is concentrating on something like playing with trucks
* when he hears something he wants me to pay attention to, he becomes completely silent and gently taps his ear with his forefinger; if he does not get my attention he grabs my face, makes me look in his direction, and does the same
* all loud trucks are "bus"es probably because the school buses going up and down our street need new brakes
* he is a "yes" man; always says "yes" whether he means it or not; then changes it to "no"; seems like all kids his age do this one way or the other; I am glad he is a "yes"er and not a "no"er

It would only be funny if I meant to do this, but I forget the other thing that I was going to write down tonight. I swear six things have been mulling around in my brain all day. I will probably remember tomorrow when I am trying to leave for the store.
-------to be updated------ha ha----

4 comments:

Macey said...

Ayden is an "okay" man :o) He said "okay" after everything I ask him. Do you want to go outside? "okay" Do you want grilled cheese for lunch? "okay" Do you want to take a nap? "okay" Of course we both know that last one isn't working out at the moment, but at least he's agreeable about it! Love that Hudson hums when he's focusing. That is really cute. You should get it on video! And I don't think Mommy mush-brain goes away until the children are grown up, have kids of their own, and say "hey this is hard work! Thanks for being such a great Mom for me!" :o)

Anonymous said...

He has inherited two of the traits from you. Swapping the letter S and humming as he concentrates. But the color of his eyes...definately his daddy's side. What beautiful colored eyes!

Anonymous said...

My daughter is 6 and I still have mommy mush-brain. The funny thing is Camryn has developed a checklist of her own whenever we are going anywhere. The dialogue is something like.... Camryn: "drink?", me: "check", Camryn: "snack?", me: "check", Camryn: "sunglasses?", me: "check",
Camryn: "purse?", me: "oh shoot, mommy will be right back". :)

Carrie (your mom's coworker)

Anonymous said...

I remembered the spoons, the bowls, the diapers, and the blanket. I forgot V's shoes. I guess this means no walking at rest areas.