Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Advanced Maternal Age

So, on this special day, my 36th birthday, I thought I better dedicate a little space to the new sticker on my medical file "AMA" or advanced maternal age. I am amused by the term; ironically more than I am by other PC labels. No matter how young I feel or how many older women I have heard about (or personally know) who have given birth at my age, according to the medical community, I am old to be having a child.

Not that I care. I actually think it is quite fantastic. For example, there is an elective ultrasound screening that is offered at ten to twelve weeks for those under the age of 35 for a mere $450. But us with advanced maternal age are given this sneak peek into our uteruses (okay, ew) for free. Insurance pays for the bad boy. And I. can. not. wait.

I was tickled at the doctor's office visit last week that the nurse, in addition to the standard "lay off the Mountain Dews" and other twenty-something drink favorites also gave me a list of which wrinkle creams that are potentially toxic to a fetus. I doubt many of her young moms get that run down. I hated to tell her that I have a difficult time remembering to brush my teeth before I collapse into bed, let alone wash my face. Wrinkle creams? Heck that is for OLD women. Like those in their... well, as I have now crested my 30s and am in the freefall to 40, I maybe should at least glance at the list.

I am confident that my advanced maternal age will not get in the way with my building snowmen with my future two year old, like I did with Hudson today. I doubt that it will interrupt my hopes for summer bike rides and trips to the zoo. I don't even think that it will be a hinderance to be in my mid-fifties at his/her high school graduation.  So, I will wear my AMA badge with pride, happily assuming that the word advanced somehow means I will be able to offer my new child more.

2 comments:

Macey said...

I just watched a documentary about a woman who became a first time Mom at 70. Talk about advanced maternal age! Seriously, 36 is YOUNG and I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping up with both of your little cuties! Happy Birthday!!

Every Day is an Adventure said...

So far, being an "older" mom has not stopped me from doing all the fun things. It is funny to watch the faces at playgroup when I announce I'm 42. Most of these women of three and four year olds are late 20s to mid 30s. I always hope that the surprised looks are b/c I don't look near that age and not b/c I am soooo old. When are you due? There is a good chance we will be in Cincinnati in June or July and would love to try and meet up.