Sunday, December 19, 2010

Opinions

Recently Hudson has some distinct opinions about what he does and does not like. Just about every meal begins with the phrase every mother wishes to hear, “I not like it.” Sometimes this is little gem is followed by the cute, but equally annoying, “too spicy.” Please understand he says these things before he tastes a thing. He just looks at his dinner options and voices his judgment. I am not even sure where he learned the word “spicy”, but I am pretty much over it.

The majority of my clothing suggestions are met with the same, “I not like it” song. If wearing pajamas all day was socially acceptable, Hudson would be in heaven. Every day that is our first fight. I can only hope that the playdate/shopping/reason for leaving the house is enough of a draw to get him to part with his cozies. Otherwise, he is given a choice, which he rarely makes.
Finally, Hudson and I have had several minute long conversations about wearing diapers or underwear. No matter the print on the underwear (Handy Manny or race cars) he frequently “not like it” and then begins his other arguments. I am worried about how well he can articulate why he likes diapers best! A fellow engineer –and father of boys—at Josh’s work suggested we have a bowl of matchbox cars ready as a reward for the elusive poop that we have been waiting for. Friday and Saturday it paid off and now, I hope, we have jumped a huge hurdle on the potty training train. Of course, when it comes to dumping out his potty, I have to say, “I not like it.”

As a positive, three new things that Hudson does like:

Making cookies with Mama
 are a "like it".
1. He has a strong preference for coloring Mickey and Daisy pictures out of the Mickey Mouse coloring book. (Not that I blame him. Coloring-wise, Mickey does not allow for much creativity beyond white, black, and red.)

2. Hudson would eat candy canes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

3. Snow. Snowballs. Snowboots. Snow hats. Mashing snow. Walking in snow.

No comments: