Sunday, December 12, 2010

To everything there is a place


An organizational battlefield exists in my home. Josh’s philosophy regarding putting things away differs from my own. To Josh, everything has its place and it better be there when you go to retrieve it. To me, items have places where they should be, and if they are there, that is a bonus. Most items have at least three possible locations for where they could be. And I am fine with this.
While Josh wants my kitchen utensil drawers to have chalk outlines around where each gadget should sit, I am fine with poking around through a drawer (okay, drawers) to find what I need.
I don’t have to find scissors in the first place I look because there are always other options. Life is like a scavenger hunt! Okay, that might be romanticizing my view a little bit, but you get the point…

This fundamental difference creates a contrary household. Hudson is starting to show signs of preference or at least imitation of each of his parent’s organizational style. He will frequently put his sippy cup in the pantry because that is where he was last drinking it (this is me and I would know that this would be a logical place to look) yet he will also stop mid-stride down the hallway to straighten (Josh-like) the curled rug that I have walked over for the past three hours (okay, days). I shudder to think of the duality raging inside him.

Leaving the house is quite an adventure lately (okay, always, but he is questioning me now). I will bundle little man up in his coat, hat and gloves and then proceed to run around like a maniac to grab all the varied items I need before we can finally walk out the door. School days are the best example. I think I have everything, but wait! I need his bookbag with a fresh diaper in it. Wait! I need my rec center pass! Wait! I need a water bottle for me. Then him! The most frequent and possibly annoying continuous line of questions starts spewing from his mouth:


“Mamaaaaaa, what doooo-ing?"
“Mamaaaaa, where are yoooooou?"
“Mamaaa, what doooo-ing here?”

To which I provide some useful, succinct one word reply like, “Drinks!”
And now lately, he will reply, “But (sigh) where is it?”

And with that short phrase, he sounds Just. Like. His. Dada.
This cracks me up. Look at his hands in his jean pockets.

 


Cutest $1.99 hat I have ever seen.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

White T-shirt, jeans AND hands in his pockets...looks so much like his Great Grandpa Charlie.

theharrisgirl said...

Oh wow, Mom. He REALLY does look like Geeky in that picture. Now I love it even more! XO

Every Day is an Adventure said...

Adore your romanticized view of where things should/could be. I also live with this point of view.

Macey said...

Oooo I am definitely Josh while Keith is definitely you (should we get t-shirts like Sex and the City "I'm a Heather"). Ayden is becoming more and more like me on a daily basis and I shutter to think what kind of OCD monster I've created! I wish I was more like you! Love the hat!