When I was a teenager, my mother frequently (daily?) said, “I hope you have a daughter just like you when you grow up!” Well, according to our ultrasound, that is not going to happen. We are having a BOY!!! I could not be more pleased. Everything looks good so far. Baby is approximately 11 ounces, holds his hands to his cheeks like a boxer, and has all required anatomy helping me rest easier this evening.
Now, back to me as an angelic (not!) teenager. I am pretty confident the “threat” my mother quipped was to make me rethink my argumentative, persistent, defiant behavior. It didn’t work, of course. But the comment stuck with me.
So it is ironic at best that I --at this moment—have an argumentative, persistent, defiant son…who is two. Hudson has lost his mind and transformed himself into a rebellious teenager whom just might be the death of me.Our biggest issue: He will not go to bed.
About a month ago, Hudson started getting out of bed after naps and in the morning. It was cute. He would get up, all sleepily with bedhead, and softly patter to me and say, “I awake now, Mama!” I was so proud --even amused when he would come to me first thing in the morning, tapping on my nose, and saying his little line (which was always the same). Then he realized that if he could get up after sleeping, he could get up before sleeping.
And so he does. Every day. Multiple times. (And this is the part that really gets me) He can have entire verbal exchanges where he rationalizes the things he needs to do instead of sleeping. Conversation starters, for example, could be:
I need to potty.
I need to go poop.
I need to hold you.
I need to cut my fingernails. (Seriously said this)
I need to rock you.
I need to rock you just one more song.
I not tired no more.
I need to sleep in MamaDada bed.
I awake now.
I need glowie/paci/baby elephant/blankey cozy/name any other object he owns and he has used it as rationale.
I need to watch Handy Manny/Mickey/my shows.
I need to drink somethin’.
The potty excuses are super genius because there is NOTHING that makes the mother of a two year old react faster than, “I have to go potty.” The others just drive me crazy. Like I said, these are just the first words out of his mouth. He will build from there. And cry. Oh yes, he will do that too.
I have tried to follow the Positive Discipline approach (hike them straight back to bed, without passion, have them lie down, tell them it is time to sleep now, and walk directly out of the room) many times. However, my fuse only can last through this sweet little process six or seven times before I am looking for possible restraints and losing my cool. On multiple occasions we have put him to bed around 9:15 and he is still coming out every five minutes at 11:00 p.m. Not acceptable!!!!
So, gentle readers and my poor mom who survived a teenage daughter like me, I am happy to say I will be blessed to be the mother of two boys, but somehow, the legacy of having a devious teenage daughter did not escape me. It just came in the form of my overly articulate, demanding two year old son.
![]() |
| Sigh. What a fantastic day. Even if Hudson got out of bed 4 times. |


6 comments:
Hooray for two boys!!!!! Though I'm totally sad that we don't live, I don't know, right next door to each other since our kids are literally weeks/months apart! At least you can take comfort in knowing that there will be less drama in your house in the years to come! And, my apologies, but I totally laughed out loud at some of Hudson's GENIUS reasons for getting out of bed. Just keep saying to yourself "this too shall pass..."
Congrats! I'm sure hudson will love having a little brother :)
We get the same excuses from Leah. Started about 3 months after we switched to the toddler bed. It isn't fun.
(I think Noah is going to be a lot harder though....sigh....)
Congratulations on finding out that you're having another boy! Lucas wants a brother, hehe :) They are going to have such a special bond for life. Yay!!! :)
I am sooooo excited for all! Just think.....you probably have a bunch of Hudson's clothes and etc. carefully put back!! Think of all of the money you will be saving!!
Can't wait to hear the name that this little one will be blessed with!!
Love you!
So happy it's a boy!!
I was just reading an article about parents and how they solve the "getting out of bed game" in a magazine the other day. (Don't judge, I was sitting in a doctors office, nothing better to read and it helps w/ babysitting =) ). Anyways, one of the more clever ideas was they gave jr. a get out of bed free pass that he could use once a week. It sat beside his bed and he could use it and play for another 30 minutes. However, once he used it, then he didn't get it back til the next week. Not sure about Hudson's concepts of weeks at this point, but it might be worth a try. Lots of love
Your favorite babysitter
Melinda:
>Wonderful! Having two kids of the same gender is just wonderful and I know Hudson will surely enjoy having a brother.
>No help here on the bed thing. We put a crib tent on C's bed because I didn't think she'd stay in bed and I need sleep!
>Oh and you weren't THAT bad in High School. If you were bad, what was I then?
Post a Comment