Monday, February 14, 2011

My little dwarf: Sneezy



Today was one of those impossibly hard days as a parent. Hudson was sick sick sick. Sad, pathetic watery eyes and a nose running like a faucet have been our constants today. To add insult to injury, last night before the illness took hold, he also fell onto his racecar bed and got a big black eye.
I am not sure how it works into our DNA, but it has to be genetic that when we are hurting we want our Mama. Josh has tried to weather the storm of these ailments by comforting little man, but Hudson wants no part of it. He has indicated –and very vocally stipulated—he wants only me.

When he was an infant I thought it would be so much easier once he was old enough to talk and tell me where and what hurt. But nope. I think it just gets worse. He can tell me it is his eye, ears, throat, nose, and “all over” that ache and I am just as helpless as ever.

He is just so pitiful too. He wants up. Then down. He wants juice, but I have to put it in "just the right" cup. He has a coronary if I make him potty. He wants to only wear these pajamas. No matter what he has spilled on them. He can hardly keep his eyes open at dinner while he sits (where else?) on my lap, refusing to sleep. Sigh...
He also is old enough to tell me that he needs medicine. And he wants it all. the. time. Today he cried so hard for more medicine that he made himself throw up. I gave him a dropper full of apple juice and that seemed to work. Well, it made him stop crying. I am not sure any of the medications do much for this age. So we stick to the old faithfuls: steam baths, tons of fluids, and that good old humidifier.

I have learned three things to remember that I better record before my sleepless self forgets. First, to a two year old, your shirt and a tissue are synonymous. Second, the racecar bed is not big enough for a pregnant lady and a loudly snoring little kid. Finally, God bless Pixar for making hilarious movies that parents can enjoy with their sick little kids. (And remember Hudson saying, “Cover my eyes, Mama!”)

And with that, I am off to (own, non-racecar) bed.



He's cute until he starts crying.

4 comments:

Every Day is an Adventure said...

I had a stomach bug over the weekend and still wanted my mom :) Sorry little man was sick.

Kris said...

aw. having sick kids is no fun! hope he feels better soon-and tell him to keep the germs to himself! It is even more no fun when YOU get sick!

Macey said...

Poor little guy :o( Ayden becomes a huge mama's boy when he's sick or hurting too. I hope he feels better soon and you can both get some sleep!

mistymadisonjo said...

I COMPLETELY get you. Went through this in January. It is awful. I hope you can work some sleep in for yourself. Good luck and hope Hudson feels better soon.