Thursday, March 3, 2011

Adios, Muchacho!

The end is near. Correction: The end is right now.

It has been a good run. But it is time to move on. Say adios, Paci. You are outta here.

(And for the record you have went to a nice Paci Farm in the country where you will live and exist for all eternity. That or you can be reincarnated into a brand new paci for some other child. That is our story and we are sticking with it.)


Today paci was sent away. And Hudson did it willingly. Understandably it was not his idea, but he did not fight me at all. He even decorated the envelope. I love that he picked the Dumbo sticker that said, "I miss you!" on it.

A brief history of our time together: I remember being furious with the nurses when Hudson came back from his circumcision with a paci in his bed. Of course that was the morning after his birth, two and a half years ago. Man, I was ticked! (Josh strangely had sympathy for the little guy.) But that thing was a welcomed friend for the kid who liked to chew. Hospital paci, a luxurious shade of green, was our first friend. And it was replaced at six months by the next version of the same brand, blue paci. Over the years I purchased I think a total of 3 2-packs. We kept very good track of them and he did not have them in public too often.
After a couple too many “Paci Down!!!” situations in the middle of the night, I found this adorable Haba paci holder at the local toy store. It hung in there until last year sometime when Hudson’s infant-engineering skills allowed him to master taking the whole thing apart. Since that time, paci has just hung on the pathetic little red string with the same blue clip. Paci also, at that time, became sequestered to Hudson’s bed. Occasionally he would sneak it into another room, but for the most part, it was always there. Two weeks ago, Hudson had bit through the plastic enough that I felt the need to cut off the tip. It was then the funeral march began.

He has asked for it at naps and bedtime, but inevitably he does not have it in the morning. After paci was cut, it was just not the same, and all other ones have left the premises. So, tonight we move into a new world. Paci was sent away in the afternoon mail. Let the tears begin!

And finally, my favorite paci picture. You know I would have one! This is April 2009 after swim class.

Close second: May 2009 at the IMS track.

Last but not least: January 2010 in MamaDada's bed:

1 comment:

Christina said...

VERY cute idea. When Scott's mom was trying to get rid of his paci, she said that the baby pigs needed it worse than he did. So.....she had him throw his paci over the fence to the pigs!! It worked like a charm.

I have been very lucky because Whyatt nor Connor had an issue with getting rid of their paci. It was no big deal to them because they didn't hardly use them!!

As for Abigail.....I might not be so lucky!!