Sunday, September 18, 2011

Get the Picture-Part I

Probably the stupidest thing I ever read was (unfortunately) in a book I was being paid to edit. This photographer/author was trying to make it seem that taking your own (Are you sitting down? I hope you are ready for this) maternity pictures is easy-peasy. Um, really? Personally, I have never seen a decent self-portrait...pregnant or not. Aren't most taken in bathroom mirrors? Unless you have mile-long arms, you are never going to get a good angle on yourself. (Someone should let everyone on Facebook know this, by the way.) And when you are pregnant, a frame-worthy picture would surely be impossible with basic camera equipment.

Lately I don't seem to like ANY picture of myself. It would appear from my viewing of most of my images that I just gave birth to a new baby and a new chin. That said-- and I am channeling my mother's thoughts here-- I need to get myself out from behind the camera and get some candids of myself and my boys. This time is going by so fast! I want to remember these days! Many photographer bloggers lately are committing to taking a monthly self-portrait which I admire. But I want my boys to be a part of the shot, and I don't think that using a tripod is really feasible. Or do I think I would actually do it. 

So indulge me as I attempt to pursue an elusive goal: 
For the next year, I will monthly have someone to take--and I will post-- one ordinary, everyday picture of me with my boys. 
And the chin. No photoshopping allowed.


September 2011

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I'll take the pictures if you'll take one of me with my kids too. I think I might have a total of 2 pictures of me with both my kids.

Andresen Fam said...

great idea...i may have to steal it! i always look around and realize there aren't many pictures of the girls and i either.

Macey said...

Awww I think you look great and the picture is adorable! Give yourself a break...you just had a baby 2 months ago for goodness sakes! I think it's a great idea to do a monthly picture of you and the boys and they'll appreciate it too. I know there aren't many of me with my boys (just one or both for that matter!) because I'm usually the one taking the pictures so I admire you for making that a priority. Maybe I'll do the same :o)

Carrie said...

I can't wait to see that pretty face in person next Thursday night!!

Christina said...

What a GREAT idea. I weigh more now than I ever did when I was pregnant. This is why I am always behind my camera and not in front of it. When Scott steals the camera from me.....I don't post or use the pictures he has taken. I'm toooo fat and have toooo many chins!! You young lady.....look WONDERFUL!! Can't wait to see the next picture!! :)