Thursday, September 1, 2011

Preschool 101

From now until eternity Hudson will be in school two days a week. We started down that road this week. The first day Hudson woke up excited and ready to go. He didn't even flinch when we left him in the classroom. However, as I suspected from our experience last year with his hour and half nursery school, he cried for about 45 minutes the teacher said. Yet, he was smiling when we picked him up.
So, I was particularly curious as to how the second day would go. From the moment I got him out of bed, I could tell things were going to be different. Before we had even left the house he was in tears. I borrowed my old trick from last year and placed a happy face sticker on his inner wrist and told him to look at it when he was sad. I kissed the sticker and he told him he could kiss it too if he missed Mama.
We started walking to school and I noticed he was getting slower and s-l-o-w-e-r. Tears returned with his quivering bottom lip and I was a big puddle of goo. By the time we reached the entrance I was carrying Tucker in the Baby Bjorn and Hudson on a hip. (Can we say back troubles?) Big alligator tear came again. Outside his classroom we had another little talk. I told him I would be back very soon and I just knew he would have fun again today. He nodded as he looked up at me with his big sad eyes and then leaned down and kissed his sticker. I nearly lost it.

Needless to say, I was the first parent at the school after classes that day. The minute he saw me, he ran into my arms and said, "Mama, I didn't cry today!" That brought joy to my heart.

Hudson's first day of preschool.
Look closely and you can see Tucker smiling
as if to say, "Finally! I get Mama all to myself!"


Happy Boy!

No comments: