Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wha'chu talkin' about?

I feel like everything Hudson says, I want to write down. He genuinely cracks me up most of the time.
Last night at the dinner table Josh asked,
"What did you do at school today?"
"Played." (this is his answer every time we ask)

"Did you learn anything?"
"Yes."

"About what?"
(slowly with mischievous grin) "Abouttttt toysssss."

The reality of the newborn stage has been difficult for Josh and I. You grow quickly accustomed to being around a kid who can tell you what is wrong. As with most people's firstborn, all Hudson's infant cries were confusing. I think I can solve most of Tucker's woes with a good burping, diaper change, bottle, swaddle, or working out a big fart. (Naturally doing all five of those can take long enough to exhaust your nerves.) Hyper articulate Hudson can explain his troubles, but like most his age, he does not always want to. His tantrums and and antics frequently remind me of a thirteen more than three.

But he is so funny and says the craziest things! Hudson has mastered three knock-knock jokes, is obsessed with building "climbing walls" in our living room with every pillow in the house, and is fantastic with puzzles. He can do any 24 piece puzzle by himself. I have started buying him 48 piece ones. To calm Tucker's cries and sometimes just for kicks, he will sing the ABC song at the top of his lungs. Counting wise he can get to about seventeen before jumping to 100. One hundred is always his last number. (I don't know where he even heard one hundred.) He likes to read books (in his words) "silly style". This is when we take one of his picture books and I say the wrong word for each picture. He thinks this is hilarious and tries to do the same.

All pieces of paper especially receipts are "coupons". Most nights he sits on the counter in the kitchen and helps me cook dinner. He touches each item on his plate to check its temperature before he attempts to eat. He is not big on casseroles or when food is mixed up. Give him a plate of pickles or green beans and he will be just fine.

Finally, one more thing I don't want to forget is his reaction to Tucker's cries. If he hears Mister T whining on the monitor, he will take off running towards the bedroom yelling, "Help is on da way, Tuck-a! Hudson here to save you, Tuck-a!" I guess I loved all things Kennedy so much that my oldest developed a Massachusetts accent in utero.

I received an email detailing the changes in my 37 month old (who refers to a kid this old that way?!?) but for the record, in his own words, here are some of his current favorites:

Show: Chuggington (train show)
Food: scrambled eggs and green yogurt (key lime)
Book: Big Wings (airplanes)
Racecar: McDonald's one (Graham Rahal's 2010 Indycar)
Toy: "I dunno" (pause) my sandbox!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Reminds me of Brecken at 3. Makes me sad how quickly they change and turn into little men!

~Colbey

Sarah said...

Ok, love the part about him running to "save" Tucker. K does something similar but I think Hudson's is much funnier.