Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Family Tree

Chaos.
Holidays can feel like chaos. Planning. Cleaning. Preparing. Entertaining. And frankly, I like it. I like crowded houses. I like not being able to get through the kitchen because there are too many people. I like buffets of food. I like rooms where there are at least four conversations going on—at once.

On my mom’s side of the family I have lost both of my grandparents. (Gosh—that is a hard sentence to write! Pause. Breathe.) Naturally this makes her generation is the oldest, but it does not feel very natural. It changes your perspective when you notice that you are no longer at the kids table. Matter-a-fact, you look around and those you used to sit at the kids table with are now saying things like “40 is the new 30” with a wrinkle-faced sigh and a belly laugh. The kids table is now full of “mini-me”s …and smartphones.


When you do not get to see your family often enough, the chaos of the holidays can be actually calmed by the chaos of getting everyone under that solitary roof. Calmed by casual conversations on perennial topics. Calmed when a hug from my favorite uncle feels just like my grandpa’s. Calmed by being able to talk about people by their family name only, “You know that Pearson boy…” Calmed by the promise that new generations bring. Even if it means you are moving one branch farther out on the family tree. 

2 comments:

Every Day is an Adventure said...

so well said....I love your words and share your emotions. This year I am thankful for family and amazing friends who feel like family both near and far. Hope you realize...this includes you, J, and the little men. Hugs and holiday love

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ron will love this picture. You know how special of a niece you are to him!