So, a couple of weeks ago a young lady came knocking on my door as part of a middle school fundraiser. I answered the door in my typical afternoon style: disheveled, annoyed, and with Tucker hanging off my front in the Moby wrap. After the girl explained her cause, I started mine.
"How old are you?"
"Are you a good student?"
"What would Mrs. Millikan (principal) say about you?"I peppered this poor child with questions which she answered adequately and appropriately and so I had just one more, "Do you babysit?" Her eyes lit up. I gave her my business card and told her I would love to have her come by as a mother's helper. I requested she talk to her mom and walk down the following Wednesday if possible.
"Are you interested helping out with the fundraiser?" she asked me as I was shutting the door. Oh yeah...
Checking with some of her teachers confirmed this was the girl for us. Hudson really seemed to like her after their first day together too. So, for about the past five or six weeks every Wednesday, Sophie comes to play. I am always home. I am usually always manning Tucker, but for Hudson he gets someone to focus on him while I feverishly attempt to do some photography business during "normal business hours". I usually place an order, make a couple of phone calls, start dinner, a load of laundry, go to the bathroom, and edit my little fingers to the bone during the two hours she is here. 
She is very patient with Hudson and teaches him all sorts of things. Last time he learned what "neon" was (I guess neon clothes are back in fashion). He now knows what braces are. He understands that it is cool to a middle schooler if your socks do not match. In turn, he has taught her his rules to playing Candyland (find all the candy cards) and Memory. I created an "adventure" or treasure hunt with clues and she took him around the yard accomplishing that.
I can tell that she wants to play with Tucker too. I have let her feed him a couple of times while Hudson plays with cars on the floor. But usually, I just have her and Hudson running around outside. You know, trying to wear. him. out!
So often when you get a good sitter they are quickly of the age to leave you and go away to college. (COUGH! Ugmmm...KatyK!) So, I figure if Sophie continues to work out, she will be able to be with my boys for a long time. That alone is worth whatever overpriced fundraising item I purchased!
3 comments:
What a neat idea. It's amazing at what you can get done with just a few hours of "help". You're still in control, still know what's going on with your boys while still getting a small break!
Happy Wednesdays to you!!
replaced.
haha, it was only a matter of time ;) but I'm still throwing it out there, I'll be home in a week. Date night or not, I still want to see ya and the boys!
jealous much. sign me up please!
Post a Comment