Monday, October 27, 2008

Sleep & Shots

Here is a ridiculous piece of information I recently read in one of my (surprise!) books on babies and sleep: "90% of all 3 month olds sleep through the night (5-6 hours)."
Is that supposed to make me feel better? Since when does five hours qualify as a full night's rest? Where have I read that adults need 8-9 hours of sleep a night? I don't know...everywhere?!? As Hudson nears the eleven week mark, the reality that I have not slept for more than four consecutive hours for 77 days is really starting to wear me out. And I think I am starting to sound bitter!
Yesterday/last night Hudson proved he could sleep for seven and a half hours. We left Lafayette at 6 p.m. and he immediately went to sleep in the car. Once we arrived home he continued to have his little siesta in his carseat while we watched TV. Josh and I both kept saying, "Any minute he is going to wake up and eat." But he didn't. He slept through his 10 p.m. feeding and so we put him back in his room and went to bed at eleven. At 1:30 a.m. he awoke to eat. I definitely should have gone to bed the minute we arrived home, but how was I to know!?? Well, this story does not have a happy ending (for us) because once Hudson had those glorious seven and a half hours of snoozetime, he was ready for the day. I was up until about 4 a.m. just trying to get him to go back to bed. Here is a little picture of Hudson "watching" the IU game with Mama on Saturday. He obviously was elated with their big Homecoming win.
Today was our follow-up doctor appointment for Hudson's ear infection (which is officially cleared up). With his fever gone, his two month shots were also on the schedule. It was every bit as heartbreaking as they say it is. He was SCREAMING his head off by the time the last shot was jabbed into his chunky white thigh. He currently is snoozing away, in his carseat, wearing his softest penguin sweatsuit (thanks, Molly!) with one Looney Tunes Band-Aid on each thigh.
His frequent smiles continue to brighten our day. Here he is last Friday, cozy day, relaxing with mom, wearing his favorite blue dog slippers (thanks, Lori!).


2 comments:

Kris said...

I am wondering if lack of sleep is just one of the side effects of being a mom...
sorry we didn't get to hang out last week, but since I still can't tell if Leah is teething or has a cold, maybe it was for the best!
She is very very soggy.
Glad Hudson is feeling better though!

mistymadisonjo said...

he has filled out so much! I'm glad the ear infection is gone. I'm glad IU won, but what happened to the Colts tonight????