Friday, November 7, 2008

Blissful sleep



It has been the best week. Each day the weather has been so gorgeous and a constant reminder of why I love Indiana in the fall…seventyish degrees and with the help of a steady wind, the trees rain yellow and red leaves all day long. It is like a scene of a Nora Ephron movie. Hudson likes this time of year too. Yesterday he was fussy if he wasn’t outside. He sat in his swing and happily watched me sweep out the Honda. (Already like his father…)

I know Hudson is supposed to learn things from me, but I think I am learning more from him. It seems so easy lately to get caught up in anxiety and fear of where we are headed. Right now Hudson is fearless. He does not know to shy away from hot surfaces, to stress at the reality of concepts like “recession”, or to have trepidation for politicians, er presidents, with the middle name Hussein (sorry, political slip). He doesn’t even question if the next meal will arrive. He just has the faith to know it will. I think I need to be more faithful too.
When we were in Kentucky Hudson had a mini-meltdown on the way up the skylift to the top of the natural bridge. As those less adventurous (read: smarter) than us rode back down they were face to face with our unhappy (read: screaming) infant. One lady gave me a sweet smile to which I replied, “He is scared of heights.” She nodded in acknowledgement as if it could possibly be true. I will do my best not to project my fears onto him. I am sure his adult world will have too many of its own.
Wow, I am blissful today. Guess I don’t have to tell you what mom & son combo got eight hours of sleep last night? Here is to more best weeks to come.

No comments: