Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hour of Pain

In our house, a pacifier can be found in one mouth every night at 7:30. This is the moment when Hudson goes from super-lovable-charming-happy baby to evil-demon baby. He cries. He howls. He screams. He carries on like his arms have been removed. (I check and every time they are still attached.) Many would like to call it the “witching hour”, but I don’t find that term to be strong enough. I have known witches, worked with witches, even (once) been a witch and it does not accurately describe the hell of this time. It is all I can do to happily chomp on one of Hudson’s pacifiers and not just sit and cry myself.
I don’t know what it is about 7:30. It does allow us to conveniently have a meal without too much trouble, but then right after the syndicated episode of Two and a Half Men, he evolves into Sybil. The amusement of my son’s consistent timing was lost after a couple of evenings and now I am confident that hearing loss is inevitable. The whole charade really wears Josh and me out.
A couple of moments of research last night clarified this behavior is not necessarily normal, but typical for a three month old. After reading a few blogs written by mothers of children with colic (a minimum of four hours of screaming every night), I ended up feeling like a big whiner pants and decided to keep my mouth shut. Well, that is until it happened again tonight. And now I just wonder, “When will it end?”
Feel free to stop by any evening to witness this painful phenomenon. Just bring your own pacifier.
P.S. Here is a video of Hudson taken at 7:15. See? Sybil.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tanner did the same thing when he was younger. I don't remember the exact time, but he would often turn into "hell baby", as grandpa called it, sometime in the evening. To this day, he usually gets fussy sometime between 6 and 7:30. At this time, I usually give him a bottle and pat his butt until he falls asleep. A quick 30 minute nap takes care of his "hell baby" syndrome and gets him through his bath and cereal. At 8:30 or 9pm, he's usually ready to peacefully go to bed.

Take care,
Molly

Kris said...

yep. I remember those days. There really didn't seem to be anything that helped. I think I told you, I remembered evenings of just sticking her in her bouncer, manually bouncing her with my foot while I 'tuned her out' and played computer games. sometimes she would fall asleep, sometimes she would just cry.
Eventually she just stopped doing it. It won't last forever...
We decided it was frustration. They finally realize that there are things they want to do and can't. Must be frustrating being that small and helpless. Seemed like the time she started grabbing things, and interacting was about the time she quit having 'those' nights.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love his little giggles. It sounds like you have some tough nights, but just like the other posts commented...it's just something they have to grow out of. As their nervous systems become more mature, they are better able to handle frustration. Isn't it funny though, how their internal clocks are so precise?? :)

sportsmom1017 said...

ok, so, you just need to hire a babysitter for every Wednesday. Sarah and Katy K come to mind. Hire them from 7-9 so you and Josh can go out and have a peaceful evening mid-week. I would even do this for you. Feel free to call anytime, and just like everything else, this too will pass.....