Saturday, August 8, 2009

On advice

For much of the past year I have been receiving advice. I thought it might be time to express how appreciative I am.

I think advice is awesome. Even if you don't take it, I assume most people give it because they care. About me. Or about Hudson. It doesn't really matter. They are saying it to be helpful.

During the baby shower my family gave, a book was passed around and everyone wrote a piece of advice in it. I think that was a nice idea and gift. Some of the thoughts are serious, and some silly (like my cousin Bryan's advice that guns make great gifts for any holiday occassion --even Arbor Day), but they are straight from the heart of my family and that makes them special.

My friends too have been a great help through the past year. It is a shame I didn't catalogue who specifically has told me what. I wish I could tell certain sources of advice "thank you" because what they said really was true and/or helped. For example, someone told me that noisy toys were the best because your child can be playing out of your sight, yet you know they are not into something they shouldn't be. That is so true! I love hearing the little musical jingle of this train that Hudson plays with all the time when I have snuck away into the kitchen to start dinner. As long as that train is going off every couple of minutes, I know he is playing with it and not into something else less favorable. That was great advice!
It has been great too that so many of our friends have had children of their own in the past couple of years. I remember when I was single thinking that by the time I had kids, everyone else would be done. How silly.

Most of you know I have met some really amzing mothers on IndyMoms.com--a discussion board for fellow Mamas in my area. (Current hot topic on the babies & toddlers board: What do you think of leashes on kids?) I would not be nearly as sane as I am today without their help. I haven't known any of these women for more than nine months, yet those that I am close to (Angela, Sarah, and Macey) have been a wealth of assistance because they have a child the same age as mine and they are living the same issues I do. The night we started having Hudson cry it out, I was texting Sarah as I was struggling with Hudson's crying and she was there to send advice, keeping me motivated and strong. How cool is that?
Five of our friends are pregnant right now. I assume that I will be giving some advice to them. I hope they know it is just because I care. About them and about their babies. We parents have to stick together!

2 comments:

Macey said...

I have so enjoyed getting to know you through indymoms! I have learned so much from you and have loved reading about Hudson on the blog. I can't believe our babies are turning 1!!! I hope to get to meet you all someday, but if not soon, I'll keep PMing if you do :o)

Anonymous said...

Too funny, Heather! You are always the one who has read up on what I am stressed out about!
P.S. I thought it was funny how heated the Babies & Leashes discussion board got. I will be buying one for next summer, IDK what anyone thinks!!!!
:-)