Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fly like an Eagle

Add becoming an boy scout to the list of things we hope for Hudson to do one day. Today we attended the Eagle Scout Court of Honor for our family friend JD and both Josh and I were impressed with all that was entailed by this distinguished achievement.
So many hopes and dreams packed into one little man. Another mama and I discussed the other day about our goals for our kids. She gave me the trite response, "Well, I just want him to be happy." I had to roll my eyes. The only time I thought (simply) "Well, I just hope they're happy" I was leaving a wedding of two people that I wasn't sure would see their first anniversary. I have much greater dreams for my child. Maybe not all parents want to say it, but I think they do too.
It is scary to articulate what we want for our kids, and maybe that is why people don't say it. However, I am a naive new parent...so I will.

Hudson, I hope you find yourself on the receiving end of a full-ride academic scholarship, play an instrument, become an boy scout, always come home for Christmas, marry someone that adores you as much as I do, like my music more than you like your father's, have a career which enhances your life, never professionally race cars, all the while always wearing your seat belt. Oh yeah, and sleep through the night tonight too. Love, (future den mother) Mama

1 comment:

mistymadisonjo said...

I think it is great that you want that for your child and we still appreciate those children who are making a difference in the world even though it maybe considered uncool. Congrats to your family friend, he should be proud!