Today I taught Hudson the joy of hard boiled eggs. Last week I introduced him to cinnamon toast. To some this might be a boring blog about food, but, for me, it goes much deeper than that. There isn't a time when I didn't think about food. I am very conscious of what I eat--both good and bad. Naturally I am also noticing that as a parent I am shaping the eating habits of my son.
We obviously gain a lot of knowledge about food from our families. It is hard not to pass on our likes and dislikes to our kids. But it happens. Josh hates tofu (although I am sure he has never really had it). So he would never think to feed it to Hudson, but little man and I have it quite frequently during the daytime. I admit I have given him diet Coke a couple too many times, but I have never given him 100% juice. Overall, he is willing to try just about anything. If we get the pleasing "MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm", I know it is a keeper. Surprisingly, he will only eat quality pasta and snubs my favorite 43 cents boxes of mac 'n cheese. We haven't tried sushi yet. It is hard to not forget how upset his little belly was after I ate a big plate of my favorite rolls following his birth. (Note to all mothers: breast milk does pass wasabi.)
Some foods were once at the top of the charts--for example, instant oatmeal--but now are on the "will treat like play-dough" list. These changes is palate come without any notice. You can see other foods on this list by viewing the wall behind Hudson's seat.
For a couple of months he was taking Poly-Vi-Sol (iron supplement) every day in one food dish (usually scrambled eggs, pancakes, yogurt, or applesauce). A couple of times I ate the last bite and regretted it as my mouth tasted like metallic Flinstone vitamins all day. Now, he just eats half of a Wilma or Fred each morning with breakfast. Much better, I say.
I am a self-proclaimed "Foodie". My favorite television show is Top Chef. Hudson "sees" many episodes of this show, thanks to Bravo's rerun every single day policy. It would have a chef in the house--or just someone willing to cook himself a snack after school! Of course, he will have to overcome his fear of our blender and food chopper if this is to ever happen...
Hudson is not happy to eat these days without a spoon and/or fork. If we are home he will just look and sign "fork" at us until we get him one. He also signs "all done" when he is ready for you to take his tray away. When you see this sign, do not delay. If any remaining food is not taken away immediately, throwing of items will promptly follow. Come to think of it, he is quite the little food diva. Just like his mom.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will fix Leah and I hard boiled eggs sometimes...but I still tend to give her the slices with more white than yellow. I really dislike trying to wash the smeared yellow part off of everything within her reach :P
She ate so much food at our small group dinner tonight it was almost embarassing! It's like we starved her all day or something!
Hudson, I could watch you eat that egg at least 1000 times! You are too, too sweet, and so smart. Give your Mom a big hug and kiss from me.
Post a Comment