![]() |
| Buddies. Mine is the drooler. :-) |
Multiple times in elementary school my class connected with penpals in other states or countries early on in the school year. I always thought that it was a cool project, but somehow --it seemed-- that the class (or teacher) never really maintained those relationships beyond Christmas break. Fast forward just a couple (ha ha) years and I made my very own penpal connection with a fabulous mother named Macey.
I won't confuse you with the realities of how Macey and I started writing each other. Let it just be summized that it involved a couple parallel life events and some deep questions about bug spray. But for well over the past year, at least a couple times a week, she and I fire off emails back and forth. Of course, we talk about the main thing in common (being mother of 24 month olds), but over the months we have talked about literally everything you do with a trusted friend. We have grown very close and the only problem is she lives in New Jersey.
Finally, two weeks ago, I met her AND her little man, Aiden. They came back to Indiana for a visit and we were able to connect. The boys proved that they didn't need a history of emails to be buds, as they took interest in each other immediately. Macey and I talked like old friends-- no matter that I had only heard the sound of her voice one time prior during a quick phone call wishing her a happy birthday. It was a bunch of fun and pretty surreal.
Macey and I are different. We are not the same age, do not have many of the same interests or world-views. But we are very similar mothers. We are raising our boys with similar discipline, intent, and aspirations. That plus our differences makes us a good pair.
Some readers will relate to this--and I don't know if I have ever said it outloud--but I remember when I was single thinking that if, IF I ever got married and had children I would be light years behind all of my contemporaries. That was a sad thought to me because it made me feel very behind the curve and very alone. But it turns out is not the reality at all. I have found that motherhood --in and of itself-- has introduced me to so many fantastic women. It also has brought me closer to family and friends that I have known for a very long time.
Funny how life is. I read this last night in a book, "You don't plan life. You live it." That is so not my motto, but I think it has much to offer me right now. Have a good weekend. Don't plan it. Just live it.
![]() |
| Gorgeous eyes! Little man Aiden liked Hudson's car. |


1 comment:
Ayden and I had an awesome time meeting you guys too! One of these days I'll get their pictures up on my blog too :o) I so wish we lived closer, but I know we'll be back to Indy again. In the meantime, keep those e-mails coming!
Post a Comment