Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

Hudson has said, "Mama!" or "Dada!" or (my favorite because this is so generic and it still gets a response from both of us, "Mamadada!" at least 2,000 times this long weekend. This is not an exaggeration. I did the math. At least 60 times an hour, he calls for one of us. And we answer. As taxing, annoying, and downright bothersome as it is, we answer. Not because being a mother or father is our job, but because it is our pleasure. I say that, and of course mean it, but it doesn't stop me from exasperatingly saying, "What?!?!" when he does not answer, yet continues to call out repeatedly.

What does little man want? Not much. Mostly for us to acknowledge a bee/airplane/toy/moment that he is experiencing. Pretty awesome "job" if you ask me. Hudson does not experience...anything really without seeking acknowledgement from one of us. It is like if we don't say, "Yessssssssss! An airplane!" Then seeing the airplane is just not as cool. I love it. (At least the first 49 times an hour. Then I just like it.)

Being Labor Day and all, I thought much today about work. I would never consider being a parent my job, but my lack of full time employment or being a stay-at-home mom is as defining a role as any other I have ever had. Staying at home each day means that "vacation" days for the general population like today really don't feel any different than "work" days like tomorrow will. That in and of itself can be really difficult. If nothing else, a great aspect of working outside the home is not knowing exactly what will happen. I think it is part of what keeps you sharp and far away from the land of Mama Mushbrain.

Hudson has a great gig. His main goal each day is to have as much fun as possible. He just has to play. He doesn't have to get dressed. (I do that.) He doesn't have to cook. (Me again.) He doesn't even have to wash himself. Heck, he just has to say, "Drink?" and I am up pouring him a refreshment because I don't trust him with open containers of anything. I am getting tired thinking of everything I haven't said! His main superior (probably me again) actually applauds decent naps and sleeping in. What a life!

Finally, I will admit that things around here are not exactly the same each day. Hudson's antics are growing ever more humorous. A final image for your day:  Little man loves to be naked, and so whenever a change of clothes or trip to the bath is pending he will marvel at his nakedness with a repetitive little chant that sounds like, "Iam bake-ked!!! I-em bake-ked!!!" while standing feet shoulder width apart and arms up in a V. He dances up and down the hall in a pseudo squat/ET trot, marveling at being without clothes. You can't do that at work...