Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pictures in my mind (Part II)

This is a followup to a post from September 2008 which you can find HERE.

I am very aware that I am lucky to have so many great pictures from my vacation. But heck, if you live with a camera in hand like I do, you get to be very blessed to have so many beautiful pictures of your life. But, as happens, there is an image from my time in Florida where there was no camera nearby when I took a picture with just the camera in my mind.

It was a day mid-week and we had returned from the beach. We were sitting pool-side, just Hudson and I. Josh had walked to the pier to pick up grouper sandwiches for lunch. We had been swimming, but had moved onto lounge chairs for the final couple of minutes. My little man sat facing me, smelling like warmth and coconut sunscreen. He wore his digger swimming trunks and a towel as a cape. Never will I be able to tell you exactly what we were talking about, but in the middle of his chatter, I had one of those moments where you find all of your senses shedding distractions and zoning into the immediate present. Despite the whipping wind and the roar of the ocean, I really looked at my companion realizing we were having an authentic conversation. Mother and son. About real stuff. This tiny person that I helped create overwhelms every aspect of my existence. And as the new life inside me kicked and somersaulted my heart swelled so much I actually found it difficult to breathe.

Click.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully expressed.