I am aware I have the most comfortable (and ridiculously expensive) mattress on Earth; however, I don't want my kid coming into join me on that glorious TemperPedic every morning. And for the past couple of days Hudson has been. We have a rule at our house if you don't sleep through the night in your own bed, you do not get to play Mario Kart. Yes, a Wii video game has true leverage for created wanted behavior in my household. Judge as you will.
At 7:21 a.m. (did you read that time?) this is the conversation I had with my three year old who came to join me in bed at 6ish. (And he did not come to sleep.)
Hudson: "Mama, I think that if I eat all my dinner I get to play Mario Kart."
Me: "No, Hudson, you did not stay in your bed all night."
Hudson: "But I don't wannannannaaaaa."
Me: "Sorry, bud"
Hudson: "I want a new deal."
For real? King negotiator is taking me on at 7:21 in the morning after he already had me up for an hour? So, alas, I tried to hold it together and walk away. Three year olds are very unlike 13 year olds when they are upset at your choices. Instead of running to their room to pout, they stalk you through the house trying to break you down. Needless to say, if I hear the words, "I wanna" one more time today I just might crack.
And so our day began so very pleasantly. Errands. Lunch. Friends. On our way home from a playdate, my little men both fell asleep in the car. Here is my iPhone picture:
A key piece of child rearing advice I received early on (and did not initially believe) is that sleep creates sleep. So as stupid as it sounds, I am not going to wake up Hudson anticipating that it will result in him staying in bed until at least 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I know my best bet is to let him get some sleep right now.
So I am off to bill a couple clients and respond to a couple of work inquiries. If you need me, don't knock on the front door. I will be in the driveway in my new office.
2 comments:
Very wise you are!! A mama has to do what a mama has to do!! :) :)
I have done this many times....would pull a lawn chair out of the garage and read while they slept in car seats.
Post a Comment