Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lunch with the Princesses

I happily will tell you that I know absolutely nothing about Disney World. I went there once. I was five. We rode Its A Small World 75 times. Josh and I decided probably before Little Man was born that we would take "our kids" to Disney just once. (And as he says, we better wait until they are old enough so they remember it. Or maybe he is just saying that as a delay tactic so we never go...) That said, I have many friends who vacation there....like a lot. One friend in particular scared my socks off during a recent conversation.
I guess when you go to Disney World, you do not vacation as I know it. Instead you pre-plan and schedule every meal, snack, and ride ahead of time. You need to be at the park about 30 minutes before it opens getting up at the crack of dawn so you can be done by noon. (That is my preferred waking time) And nevermind that you spend hundreds on gas or plane tickets to get there; that is just the beginning. Once there, you pay hundreds to get into the parks. Then you get to pay hundreds more to (this just kills me) to eat with the princesses. I thought my friend was joking when she said it was going to cost her family $200 for this one particular meal, but no, I looked it up. $50 per parent, plus $30 per kid to eat with a college student in a ball gown. Say what? I can not think of the last time Hudson ate $30 of anything. He did wolf down two packets of PEZ today before I figured out what he was doing, but that was only about 30 cents worth. His interest in real food is non-existent.
MEMORY NOTE: Hudson gets full of particular foods rather than just "full" after eating. He'll say, "I am full of chicken now," and then a couple minutes later ask for some fruit chews. If you question him, he will explain to you, so thoughtfully, that in fact he was telling the truth. His belly was full of chicken, but not full of chews. His belly, he says, has room for different things. As far as I can tell, the sugar section is a hollow cavity.
So, anyway, today I went to the grocery store to pick up six things. I spent $130. Convinced the cashier made a mistake, I reviewed the receipt. Two containers of formula and a big box of diapers took up nearly $70 of my bill. Deflated over the costs of my life, I went home with the boys and reheated some leftovers.
$130= my family having lunch with Disney princesses or
two weeks of formula and three weeks of diapers for Tucker. 
And in the privacy of my own home, I had lunch with my own princess. Hudson has taken a liking to this bejeweled crown he found at our house. And I didn't even have to fly us all to Florida.

2 comments:

Andresen Fam said...

Ha! I have similar feelings about Disney. I hear Mickey ears are much cheaper when purchased outside Florida lines...this may hold them off even longer!

Christina said...

Oh my gosh Heather.....you are just soooo funny!! You do have a way with words!! We are/were planning on a trip "there" later this year!

Hope you keep this picture of Hudson around! I can see you using this picture sometime down the road (ie: teenager) to get him to do what you want!!