Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A House Divided





People get a kick out of playing up on the IU-PU rivalry between Josh and me. And now they have a new pawn in their game…the clothing attire of my child. Josh’s favorite boss and co-worker (cool they are the same guy, huh?) and his fabulous wife gave Hudson a horrible looking onesie. It says PURDUE on the front and IU on the…well, butt. Needless to say, mama doesn’t like it near as well as dad does.

Over the past week I have been trying to imagine what it would be like to be a single parent without the love, assistance, guidance of a supportive spouse. I don’t see how women can do it alone. Maybe we aren’t supposed to acknowledge the reality of this statement, but I am going to say it anyway: A six pound screamer can put quite the stress on a marriage. But at least we have each other.

Josh and I have different philosophies about diaper changes, how much I can handle after a C-section (he doesn't think I should be doing as much as I think I can), the amount of sleep one needs not to be a total and complete um…monster, and the perfect “latch”. But we are there for each other. We are talking through our philosophies. We are helping each other out. We are cheering for pee soaked diapers and terrifying poopy ones. We have laughed so hard I thought my incision would bust. Most of all, we are more in love than we were B.H. (before Hudson).

When it comes to who is going to win the college football game, we can be a house divided. But not in any other way.

And yes, I secretly praised my son when he completely soaked his evil Purdue onesie with pee. Sorry Rob and Doris! Now I know you have to be sure his parts are pointed d-o-w-n.

No comments: