Friday, August 29, 2008

The price of gas...on my son's digestive tract

Forget everything I said yesterday about it being the longest night. Last night (night 2) was the longest night. BTW, thanks to allllll of you who have written me sweet emails of encouragement during our attempts to let him CIO (Cry It Out--that is the cool blog lingo from all the other moms on the 240 websites I consulted yesterday. Yes, several websites indicated I would go straight to hell for torturing my son with such a barbaric technique. Others more delicately forewarned that he would write an autobiography in his thirties of my said lack of 'motherly love'.) For those of you who have written me more "You are brave" emails, I have to wonder if you too are picturing where the above book will sit on your shelves.

We got started off on the wrong track for sleeping peacefully. I have to assume the onions in the meatloaf I ate wreaked havoc on my son's digestive tract because for the 20 minutes after he ate his 9:30 p.m. feeding he screamed like he has just been sentenced to watch more Colts preseason games. (Did they lose to the Bengals, really??? Go ahead, Steve, start your torture...)

So, this a.m. I have been looking up how my diet affects my son's screaming. Like EVERYTHING ELSE there is "no conclusive evidence" for this matter. One website will say the mom ate nothing but chicken broth and another says that Thai food never affected their kid. One website will list "broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts" as good foods for a breastfeeding diet and then later IN THAT SAME article says these foods might cause gas for your newborn. Frustrated, um, yeah!!!!

For those who are questioning my ability to do all this research and give my son adequate time and attention please know, my mom is here helping me which is why I have time to do all this research. (And why I haven't held my son for any decent amount time for the past 24 hours.)

Sooooooo, the night was long. His cries came after every meal. But we did survive. And now, I am breaking all the rules by letting him nap on my lap as I type. (Come on, I gave the poor kid horrific gas...and grandma finally had to take a potty break!)

No comments: