Monday, August 25, 2008

To everything there is a season


Excuse how emotional I am this morning, but two events have brought this to a forefront. First, Hudson lost his umbilical cord this a.m. Second, the reality of in the twelve days Hudson has been in this world, he has been to two funerals.

While I was confident I would be the first to say, "Good riddance," to the evil-looking umbilical cord, when it wasn't there this a.m. I was immediately saddened. It is still baffling to me this little man spent 40 weeks growing inside me and, albeit gross, that cord dangling from his belly was visual evidence of our connection...and now it is gone. I am sure other moms have felt this way. The juxtaposition of happiness and sadness is quite perplexing.

Yesterday we attended a second funeral in twelve days. While it is hard to process, the death of my friend Janet, who had lived such a full life, seems like the next step one must take, especially after surviving extended illness. But the death of 11 month old Jenna confounds me right to my core. There is not much more I can say other than I am glad Hudson is so small and I don't yet have the responsibility for explaining to him the reality of death. How do you explain to your child something you don't understand yourself? Here is the scripture from yesterday; I think it is telling me the answer to my question.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

See...I told you...emotional morning.

No comments: