
Yesterday in our attempt to shake up our boring little life (ha) and try to alleviate some of the sources of my overwork (yes, I had to go back to the doctor for post-operative complications from doing to much and now am on MORE pain meds) we decided it was time to begin the crying it out time. Hudson, as I have mentioned before, is quite the little cuddler, my favorite trait. However, said child will not maintain sleep once put down. Now, this has caused much stress for those who 1. don't believe in co-sleeping and 2. wish to have a full night's rest without holding a baby. So, something had to be done.
I did, as you would expect, spent yesterday morning reading a book about the topic. Additionally we went to the pediatrician yesterday for a weight check. (He is now weighing 6 pounds 12 ounces.) She said it was an appropriate time to begin the crying it out process. However, when questioned about her own experience with her three children, she did have to mention she never actually did this. Thanks, doc, for the advice you chose not to follow yourself.
The stupid book advice said that "there may be a brief period of fussing or crying when you put your baby down. Don't be deterred from doing what is best for the child." The psycho who wrote such a line has never met my son who cried for 1 hour and 30 minutes (note: the entire length of his baby soothing sounds Mozart CD). Hudson did go to sleep after these 90 minutes. However, Josh and I cried for the next 90. Hudson, I hope you know your mother paced, cried, and leaked all over the carpet outside your door. Your dad actually restrained me at one point from picking you up. (Sensitive readers and grandmothers, I did go and verbally soothe him--and myself--every minutes. Something the book and my doctor vehemently and explicitly said NOT to do, but my friend Halle did. Goodbye medical degrees, listen to Doc Halle.)
Anyway, to make a long night short, after the 2 a.m. feeding Hudson went straight to sleep--arms in the "I surrender" position --and slept for the next 4.5 hours. Yes, I got up and checked on him every 5 minutes for most of that time.
So, the longest night is over. Here is a picture to prove his health and overall well-being. We all survived. And, for the record, when Hudson hates classical music, we will all know why.
1 comment:
Big Congrats on getting Hudson to sleep on his own. Rachel and Rebekah are 5 and 16 mos and I still end up spending half the night in their room.
Post a Comment