If I had to recap them for you, I would say they are all filled with lies. They say statements such as, “Knowing how to breathe appropriately is the secret to enduring contractions” or “Epidurals leave you pain free” or, my favorite, “Breastfeeding does not hurt.” Sorry, gentlemen, if you wish not to read anymore of this blog, I understand. Yes, it is about the pain in my chest.
Granted, I would like to write about something else, but, frankly, it is all I can think about. Plus, the whole reason I am writing this blog is for Hudson. I want him to have some insight into his earliest days. And when he wants to have that shiny new bicycle, to borrow the car, to stay out past ten o’clock, "pizza" money during college, I want to remind him of my poor, pathetic, inflated/deflated, sore, cracked, used and abused mammary glands he gave me during this, his beautiful first week of life when I say, "No." (You gotta have somethin' good as a response to, "But why?????")
Please don’t recommend lotions or gel pads or techniques for making this feel better. Remember, I have already read all about it. What I need is a son who will open his mouth more than a millimeter. And I know he can…I have seen him scream. Medically, this is called "a shallow latch". I call it "hellish pain".
Why do these authors and publishers feel the need to perpetuate the lies? I am okay with the truth. Matter-of-fact, I prefer it. Just say it, “Breast feeding is the most painful, trying experience a new mother will deal with. But do it anyway.” And I would.
So, when you call or email and say, “How is it going?” Do NOT be surprised when I answer with the truth. I can handle the lack of sleep, the nasty diapers, being peed on, and the recovery from my c-section; however, I am in immense pain in the upper body area.
Tomorrow we are going to buy a new glider chair to make all other aspects of nursing hopefully more comfortable. So, I gotta go. I have research to do.
P.S. Mama and Daddy survived giving H
3 comments:
I know that you requested no suggestions, but I can't help but mention the trip to Babies R Us with Kerri and Kalea, when we somehow always ended up back at the "My Breast Friend" line of nursing products... Perhaps you should switch brands, because we thought that name alone was comforting. But in all seriousness, I hope Hudson gets better with practice. :)
The little guy is getting cuter every day, keep the news and pictures coming!
Love, L
two words...or is it one because it is hyphenated?? "TOE-CURLING"
To be fair, Carrie is the ONLY person who told me bfeeding would cause grand pain.
THANKS FOR THE HONESTY!!!
Post a Comment