Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bally's for Babies


Today I took advantage of the free preview class at the local Gymboree Play & Music. For 45 minutes or so, little Hudson and I participated in “organized” play with three other babies and their mamas. (Interesting note: baby names were Micah, Ruby, and Charlotte) We sang, performed tactile activities, played with flashlights in the dark, had bubbles blown on us, and cried. The crying was me, and it happened only two and a half times. First, when we arrived , I was watching the Level 3 (10 month olds) class and they were so engaging and delightful. Then, in our class I cried when we sang “You are my only sunshine” (Whew! Who knew those words were so poignant?) Finally, I didn’t cry, but seriously teared up at the song “Love Me Tender” which I never would have guessed to be such a perfect song to sing to your baby. Hudson, by the way, was impervious during these moments; he giggled and cooed his way through the entire adventure.
Like the real Bally’s Gym, the cost of such an organized workout is exorbitant. There is the lifetime membership fee (required $30) and the monthly fee (a ridiculously expensive $65). Although they have a “liberal” makeup policy so you don’t bring your sick kid to infect all others, for his age group (Level 1: 0-6 months) there is only the one class offered a week and you cannot make it up in the next month(not so liberal, if you ask me). Opportunities get better as he gets older. Once he is six months old, there are multiple Play and Learn classes, plus a music class, open playgym, and the educational Baby Signs. Still, I don’t really think I will feel compelled to whip out my debit card and “simply sign up for the monthly subscription plan”.
But you never know…Hudson did have a ball. They have some really cool giant play equipment, bouncy balls, tubes, tunnels, and their trademark multicolored parachutes. He intently watched the other kids and seemed particularly fond of the bubbles, which, by the way, were some special brand which lasted forever. The teachers all had gorgeous voices and did an impressive job maintaining the attention of fickle little kids.
And if we do go back, don’t worry, I know now to bring my Kleenex.

3 comments:

Kris said...

Love the outfit ;)
According to Dwight Leah will only be allowed to like RED tractors. I am pointing out green ones whenever I can though!
Wow, those are expensive classes...I never looked into anything like that.

Anonymous said...

Love the JD outfit.

Scott is impressed to see that Hudson is sporting the "right" color of tractor (sorry Dwight Leah)! :)

However.....Scott is jealous that Connor doesn't have a JD outfit like Hudson's.

Anonymous said...

That is by far the cutest little outfit I have ever seen! Hudson is sylin' the John Deere!