Sunday, March 29, 2009

A plague upon the house

As is typical with all childhood illnesses, Hudson went from sniffly to sick on Friday afternoon about the time the pediatrician’s office closed. Not that I would have rushed him in anyway. I know how it goes. With runny noses and congestion, there isn’t much a doctor can do for little ones. So began the longest weekend of our recent lives.
It really began Thursday night when Hudson woke up at 1 a.m. and wasn’t able to go back to sleep. It was a tiring evening. Friday Grandmama and Grandpa Wedekind came for a visit. Thankfully they agreed to spend the night because Hudson grew sicker as the day wore on. By nightfall he was not able to suck on a bottle or paci, both necessary ingredients to a successful night’s sleep. Without their help I don’t know if Josh and I could have made it through the night. I can not sleep if I hear Hudson crying, so everyone took turns having Hudson on the other end of the house. However, when you are sick, you really want your Mama, so I spent most of the night holding my little man.
Aside from fever reducers like Tylenol, I am truly frustrated that any potential helpful medications have been taken off the shelves. If drugs exist that could possibly help an infant breathe better, why would the FDA feel compelled to take them off the market? How would those members of the FDA feel if I took away their Rogaine and hemorrhoid creams?
Against the regulations, I went out to Saturday and bought him some “illegal” medicines. Our pediatrician’s health booklet has the dosage for babies because it was created before the recent rules. Saturday night he was able to sleep a bit better. At one a.m. he moved into bed with us and slept well. I laid awake in our bed with my dueling snorers. For the first time ever, Hudson out-snored his dad. By five a.m. Josh agreed to sleep in the recliner with little guy. The two hours I had from five to seven a.m. were the best sleep I had had in three nights.
Today his little nose continues to run run run, but we have seen marked improvements in his overall attitude. He fell asleep tonight without any unusual fanfare and is sleeping and snoring contently as of now 9:17 p.m. I think he will be improved tomorrow morning. Just in time for the pediatrician’s office to open.

This is not a picture from this weekend. But it is a cute shot of Hudson and Best Friend Paci.

2 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

I TOTALLY feel your pain. We went through 1 1/2 months with ear infections and it was so exhausting. Hang in there and I hope you have a good pediatrician. I am beginning to doubt mine!

Kris said...

So sorry to hear that! It really is hard on everyone when the little ones are sick. Leah went through another round last weekend. You are right...always on the weekend! Twice in the last few months that has happened here. Just a countdown till monday morning 7am.
Hope he is feeling better soon!