Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On being everyone’s mama

While it is surely possible that the world had just as many babies in it during all the years I was a childless adult, it just seems to me that now-- since I have had Hudson--babies are everywhere. Nine months ago, and I hope this doesn’t sound callous, I didn’t really notice them. Something must happen when you become a parent. It is like you are endowed with some type of baby radar that overtakes your entire being. Everywhere you go, you zone into babies. You smile at them. You feel compelled to chat to them as they pass. You feel a sense of urgency by their cries.

I did my best in Florida to keep my Mama Radar at bay. (And I am not talking about our fellow travelers; I can only hope to be as good of a mama as my friend Colbey.) I am referring to all the babies on the beach. At the pool. At the airshow. I couldn’t hardly pass a child without wondering whether they were wearing adequate sun block, needed a sun hat, had their stroller lapbelt fastened, should be that far out in the ocean, etc. I almost jumped out of my beach chair when I saw this one little girl floating out past the first sandbar wearing nothing but a silly around-the-waist floatie. Luckily her mama decided to wake up and intervene.

It stresses me out to feel this way, but I can’t help it. Last night at the grocery store (it was 9:38 p.m.) there was this little one year old behind me in line with his mama. He was sooo tired and sooo grumpy and his mother didn’t seem to have much patience for him. I just wanted to take him off to lawn and garden and rock him to sleep in some chaise chair.

And…sorry while I keep babbling…if I hear that “Teach your kid how to use 9-1-1” commercial on the radio one more time, I am going to scream. Little six year old Timmy’s voice as he desperately calls 911 to help his mama makes me cry everytime. Effective? Yes. Tears while driving? A problem. Actually any story of a child in pain bothers me so much anymore that I can hardly tolerate the news at all.

Hudson also is noticing every single child around us. He flaps his arms and gets real excited whenever someone pint-sized comes around. Yesterday he squealed so loud at a little boy that the child took off the other direction. (Sorry, kid.) It is really cute how he watches other babies too. His squawking babbles show his interest in everything they do.

There is no real point to all this; just an observation. I am glad I notice babies now. The world is much better with them in it. I love it when people notice Hudson. Now, if I just knew what to do when someone comes up to him and says, “What is youuuuuuur name?” I am supposed to answer this, right? It is so awkward. I feel like I am a ventriloquist or something when I say his name. One time I want to say, “Oh, I am sorry. He doesn’t talk yet.”

5 comments:

sportsmom1017 said...

How did you capture this perfect picture with the bubble right in front of his face? It is wonderful! You are so talented....keep on posting.

Angie G said...

Ha ha! I always feel stupid when someone asks Roddick what his name is and I answer, "His name is..." Then comes the next question from the stranger: "How old are you?" Me: "He's __ months old." The thing is, before I was a parent, I was guilty of initiating this exact scenario. Now, I make a conscientious effort to talk to the human who can talk back. :)

Christina said...

After going thru years and years of fertility treatments (and being told that we would never have "our own") I noticed babies all of the time. Everyone around me was having babies. I can't count the number of baby showers I gave during this time.

Once we finalized Whyatt's adoption and then after I gave birth to Connor 9-months ago - I don't notice the other babies as much.

Now, this could be for two reasons.

First, because I am so tired after chasing around an almost 4-year old and a 9-month old that I just don't have the energy to look at anything or anyone else! Remember: Connor was born two weeks after I turned 41 years old!! :)

Second, because I think my two little boys are just so adorable and I am always watching them to make sure they are safe. Also, I think I am still walking around on cloud nine for being so blessed!!

As for the picture of Hudson in the tub with the bubble - how adorable!!! You are very very talented!!

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet! You run circles around me as a mama! (Especially since with Paul traveling again, I totally resemble the mom behind you at the grocery store last night with no patience!)

Otherwise though, I totally agree with you! I notice babies (and it is expanding to kids as Brecken ages) everywhere and instantly stress about there well being. I often find myself stopping to watch a child wandering away from their mom at stores and steering them back without scaring them or there mother! And any ad/story/news whatever about kids in danger/scared/saving their parents instantly makes me cry! Thanks for the very relatable blog today! :)

~Colbey

Anonymous said...

Great pictures on this one, Heather! I think your comments are great too-- I'm sure you have an undying mommy sense now! :)