Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where are we now?!?

The return to our humble house in Franklin today brought both sighs of delight and displeasure from Josh and me. While we anticipated the comfort of our perfect couch and familiar surroundings, pulling into the drive we were overwhelmed by the obvious immediate necessity of lawn care and acknowledgement that unloading the car and dealing with its contents would not be fun at all. As we walked in to the house, Hudson maintained a look of surprise on his face. It was as if –to him-- we were just entering into a new stop on our vacation and not entering the only home he has ever known. His face seemed to say, "Where are we now? Does this place have a pool too?"

Throughout the day he sustained the appearance that nothing was familiar. Old toys presented seemingly novel entertainment. Even as we sank into the same rocking chair we have shared hundreds of times for an afternoon nap, he still didn’t seem to recognize where he was.

Of course, I could be completely assuming in error. Regardless, I really wonder what he recognizes and what he doesn’t. He was only days old when he would react to my voice. The widespread grin that is plastered across his face upon the arrival of his dad makes me know he recognizes Josh. But are there others? Does he remember family? Recognize pals from playgroup? Hmmmm….

Well, since Hudson will never remember our vacation to Florida, we will just HAVE to go back. Only next time we will hire someone to mow and unpack the car for us.

Now, I could bore you for days with pictures of our time away, but I will not. Aside from those pictures already posted, here are my top three favorite pictures of this vacation.

Okay, here my favorite. Hands down. This is the look on his face so often--some sort of subtle amusement. I love that his jammies are all bursting open.

Same night....minutes later....this next picture has just the most gorgeous sunset light...plus my most gorgeous men. Look at Hudson's little hand on the railing. So cute.

Finally, a picture of me that I can tolerate. Josh took this one. It was getting late and Hudson was getting tired and not loving the sunset walk near as much as we were. But I love that we are face to face. I hope I can always remember the weight of his little twenty-two pound body and his pirate-y whine, "Rar, rar, rarrrr."

2 comments:

Christina said...

Glad you all are home and safe.

The unpacking is never fun!!

However, the memories are more than worth it!

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful picture of you and Hudson! You are gorgeous.