Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sleepless in Southern Indiana

If you will humor me through just one more blog about the son I have who doesn't like to sleep and the mama I am that loves her sleep so very much, please read on.

Hudson now pulls up and stands on everything. Walking is imminent. This physical prowess is welcomed during most hours of the day. However, when it comes time for sleeping, I would rather we had our little man back who didn't even sit up. It is one thing to attempt a couple of minutes of "crying it out" with a whining baby who is lying down. As Josh says, rational thinking allows you to think that in this position there is at least some hope that he might just fall asleep.

But, when your baby gets up and starts yelling at you before you even get out of the room, you just don't have much hope that he will just fall asleep standing. This is Hudson's new technique. No longer does he offer a soft whimper as you walk out of the room and then quickly drift off to la-la land. Now, no matter how sleepy--or sleeping--he is, he will be standing up quicker than a flash and is wide awake again and yelling at you by the time your body crosses the threshohold of his room.

It is so hard!

Most nights Josh and I pow-wow outside his door and our conversation goes like this:

"What do you want to do?"
"I don't know! What do you want to do?"

"I don't know."

"I think he is getting louder."

"Yes. Maybe. Wait...yep. Definitely louder."

"Okay, five minutes."

[walk away in separate directions and meet back in two minutes in same spot]

"You going in?"

"Yes. One more try."

So, we try again. And most times three-times these days. We sure can't handle seeing him cry.

No comments: