Friday, July 24, 2009

Vintage Mama

The other night I surfed my favorite website Ebay.com looking for some additional Fisher Price Little People. We have received several FP hand-me-down toys (thanks, Colbey & Paul) and they seem to entertain little man. However, we only have a couple of the actual people.

So, I craft my little search and all sorts of Little People toys from my day pop up. And they are all labeled VINTAGE. Ouch. I know I am no spring chicken, but toys from my childhood qualify as ancient? Granted we have a car on our drive way built when I was ten that next year will be eligible for antique license plates, but I like to think of myself as hip, hop, and happening. Me=vintage? That is whack. Okay, I am too old to say “whack”.

To take this a step further, these vintage toys (which surely qualify as a choking hazard and are all embellished with lead based paints) are selling for ridiculous amounts. People are paying a fortune for something I am pretty sure I gave away years ago. Of course the irony here is those little toys were probably originally pretty cheap in comparison to, I don’t know, say the Cabbage Patch dolls up in my attic. My parents stood for hours in a line to get me those precious dolls and they are not selling for a dime on ebay. Go figure.

In the end, I haven’t bid on any FP Little People yet. When I started thinking about it, I realized it isn’t like Hudson has asked for more of these characters. I wanted them. It was then I discovered another joy of parenthood: you get to play with toys again, no matter how old you are.

**Hudson gave himself a black right eye last week from one of his beloved toys. Here is a picture of his face healing up nicely.**

No comments: