Today begins another school year. Once again school buses zoom up and down our street acting as Little Man’s 7:30 alarm clock. Once again I arose happy that I was not off to a classroom of my own.
Honestly, the first day of school always has made me cry. For eleven years I cried –no joke—driving to work seeing the little kindergartners donning their colossal backpacks standing on street corners waiting for the bus. Lord knows how I will handle the day when my prized pupil heads off to his first day.
Last night we went for ice cream and through the window a former student gave me a tremendous compliment about my impact on her as a teacher. While I do not question my motherhood-as-career choice, compliments are not readily handed out by my solo scholar. So, it was a prized moment. It need not be said that the most difficult aspect of parenting is the lack of validation that you are doing a good job.
That said, in honor of the first day of school, I rocked my little learner extra long today at naptime. When he was nearly asleep Hudson looked up at me and took his hand out from under his blankie and put it on my arm and started patting me.
Ah…Best day at work. Ever.
2 comments:
Ahh.....I read this with tears in my eyes. I have to return back to work in less than five weeks. It saddens me that I have to go back.
I know the feeling Heather. On Tuesday morning after Tan realized he had to attend daycare for the second day in a row because mommy had to go to work he said, "but I don't want to go to daycare AGAIN!" We miss you in the teaching world but you are doing great works at home too!
Post a Comment