Sunday, August 1, 2010
Emotional Sunday
When Mariya was with us, we had this one really bad Sunday. Emotions ran high. Kleenex ran low. You know how it gets when your hormones take over your brain? It was a day full of heartache, crying, and hugging. It was cathartic. Mariya and I called it “Emotional Sunday" and it was our first bonding experience. Even when she was leaving us eight months later, we still talked about Emotional Sunday like it was a place where you could just go and be sad and then move on. I liked the release it gave her—and I—to just be emotional when emotional was what needed to be.
This past week I have been living in Emotional Sunday. I have gone through all the motions of wife and mother. We’ve had playdates, church parties, and picture deliveries. Dishes have been done. No one was living under the covers. But on the inside—I am a swirl of stress, emotion, and nerves about having another baby.
There—I said it—and blogged it (even more official)—we want another baby.
But ...it isn’t happening. For a year now we have been open to the idea. For nearly that long we have made out appropriately as needed. For three months I have been putting off buying one of those “I’m the big brother” shirts for little man because frankly I am starting to realize there is a reality that may not happen. Given my medical condition percentages are just not in our favor.
That brings me to all the well meaning advice of “Just don’t worry about it” or “It will happen” and my least favorite, “You did it once, you can again.” These little quips really cut into me. After all, I do worry about it! It might not happen! It is a freaking miracle that with a less than 50% chance of pregnancy (and lesser chance of live birth) that we ever had a child. Plus-- This. is. my. life. My time would be better spent vacuuming than dreaming up witty ways to tell my husband and our family that I am pregnant. Yet, it is all I think about. And every month, I am shut down.
So, I had my week of feeling really blue. But here is the reality that I keep coming back to. On Monday, I was in the waiting room at the fertility doctor trying to absorb myself in some insignificant People magazine. However, I knew that I had not made any notes and I started to get concerned that when I got in front of the doctor my mind would go blank. (Does that happen to you?) I figured I better write down my questions. So, I grabbed out a pad of paper and start digging in my bag for a pen.
Digging.
Digging.
I can't find one. All I can find is crayons. Red. Blue. Yellow. From some restaurant hostess for Little Man. My eyes get all full of tears. Yeah, I am sitting in a world-renowned fertility doctor's office, but my bag-- my bag has crayons in it.
I am very lucky already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Heather, you know that I know where you are coming from. I have been there and done that. We spent the first 5+ years of our marriage going thru fertility treatments. No luck. A few years later, we became pregnant twice and lost both. Whyatt was placed with us at birth and we were able to finalize his adoption when he was 2 1/2 years old. The same week we received the paperwork from the Judge stating he was "ours" - we found out we were pregnant. Miracle!! Connor was born on 8-8-08. Another miracle.....Abigail was born on 7-20-10.
We will celebrate 13-years of marriage this month and have three beautiful children ages 5 and under.
We have always said that we were given children in "God's time - not ours".
I know that no matter what God has in store for you - you will be/and are blessed. You have a very beautiful little boy that as you know is a miracle.
I love you. If you need to talk, vent, cry, etc. just let me know. I truly understand what you are going thru.
Christina
Call me - let's have dinner!
Lori
I know this has been really difficult for you and I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. What is it you said before...we're measuring our months in used pregnancy tests? It's so true and it stinks, but I'm so glad we can at least go through it together (though I know you've been struggling longer then I have). I hope you know you have so many friends and family that really care about you (even ones that live 12 hours away! :o)). I will always be a listening ear...or eye I guess...whenever you need to vent. Thinking of you.
I'm not sure where to begin. My pregnancy with Madison was very difficult. It was so bad I was scared to have another child. When we decided to have another one, nothing happened. Nothing happened for five years. We chose to just let things be because we already had one.
We constantly got asked, "when are you going to have another one?" "When is Madison going to have a sibling?"
These little digs, hurt, they hurt badly. People don't mean to be malicious, but that is what it feels like. Everyone can give you advice, BUT with that said, your feelings are still your feelings and you still FEEL them. There is joy in watching Hudson and there is pain because you want more children. Don't apologize for how you feel, it is what makes you a mother.
Yeah we need to get together so I can fill you in on my situation. Think positive about the whole thing and God will take care of the rest. I have always always wanted children, Ben has always wanted children...and both of us wanting a large family..knowing this might never come true is heartbreaking. But I am hopeful that a miracle comes along. I hope to hear positive news from you soon!! I will pray for you & your family! :)
Sometimes the most innocent and well meaning comments hurt the most. The "it will happen when it is meant to," "just realax and enjoy your son and family." All so true but so hard to hear. I wish I had the words to make it all better. Cry when you need to, hug Hudson more often (is that possible?), vent to us, have faith. I'm here if you ever need to e-vent.
Post a Comment